Featured Post

Thursday, August 8, 2024

The Best Part about Writing K-9 Books

by Sharon Dunn

At the end of September, I have another K-9 book releasing from Love Inspired Suspense. Tracing a Killer is book 7 in the Mountain Country K-9 Unit series. The whole series (8 books and 2 novellas) centers around catching a serial killer prowling around the western United States. Each book will have its own suspense and romance plot that will be complete by the end of the book. My book focuses on a cold case and takes place on a remote island in Utah and of course there is a romance between a member of the K-9 Unit Hannah Scott and the man she is assigned to protect Trevor Gage because he is the serial killer's next target. 

This is the first K-9 book I have written that has a Newfoundland as the K-9. His name is Captain and he specializes in water rescue. One of the funnest parts of doing this book is the research. In particular, the research about the dogs and what they do. Newfoundlands or Newfies as they are often called are an interesting breed of dog. They are called gentle giants because although they are a big dog, they are very good around children and have a natural desire to protect and rescue. These dogs were made for being in the water and are strong enough to tow a whole group of people. Probably the most interesting thing about them is that they have webbed feet. If that doesn't say "let's go swimming" I don't know what does. 

As I said before Tracing a Killer is book seven in a series. Each book will have a completed romance and suspense plot but the search for the serial killer will stretch over all the books. You can find out the titles of the other six books that come before Tracing a Killer by going on Amazon or Harlequin and looking under Mountain Country K-9 Unit series. 

Have you read any of the books in this series or another K-9 book? Let me know which ones you have read. I'd like to give away five pre-release copies of this book. Please leave your name an email address. The winners will be chosen at random (U.SA. only). If you like the book, please post a review. 


 

32 comments:

  1. not yet
    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read five of the books in the series and have one on my TBR. I am fascinated by the Newfoundland breed and I am looking forward to reading about Captain. watts.vickie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to read/review this story! bettimace AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  5. mark-mkwill75@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read Her Duty Bound Defender by Sharee Stover, but none of the others yet. I love K9 stories. Anxious to read yours. Thanks for a chance.
    paralegal dot 7 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. my e-mail is aznelson@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book looks great
    ronipooh342@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’ve read most of all the K-9 series and have become addicted to k-9 books. Even read some other authors series, like Ronie Kendig. Love to watch K-9 videos. We went to a demonstration and retirement of a K-9 police dog some time ago in CA.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read your books but I'm always looking for books with dogs. I also own two Newfies, so I'm definitely going to start reading these. I'd love the Newfie book since I have two. donnamorkreed@gmail.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI! I have read a few and they include Books 1, 2, 3 and 6 of the Capital K-9 series and also read Mountain Survival: K-9 Search and Rescue Book 3 by Christy Barritt. dawn dot nicol at gmail .com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please enter me to win. I would even review it. I do not use my Google email. jrs0350@yahoo.com Jane

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just finished Jill Kemerer's Training the K-9 Companion last month. Soooo good! TCordle2@cfl.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE K9 books!!! I think I have most of Love Inspired's K9 series. I am a dog and horse lover so I tend to buy those books first. My reading is primarily Love Inspired Suspense and Love Inspired as I only read clean and inspirational books. I would love to win this book! Carolyn Frazier. frazierhlhs@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't yet but would love to! tWarner419@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. (CINDY MERRILL): No, I have not, but I love stories that include pets, dogs and cats!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have purchased one or two. They are on my TBR pile. God bless you. dpruss@prodigy.net Debra Pruss

    ReplyDelete
  19. I’ve read several K-9 books and I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven’t read any yet but they sound good! Andreadrake1 @yahoo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your Mountain Country K-9 Unit series sounds very intriguing. I love everything about cold cases, mystery and suspense, and off course K-9! I have yet to read your K-9 books and have added them to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have yet to read your K-9 books and have added them to my TBR! Thank you.
    cwkuen(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love reading the K-9 Books please enter me Sarahbaby601973(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've read several K-9 book series. I think my favorite one is A Breed Apart by Ronie Kendig. The original series is a trilogy, but now she has continued the series and added three more books. They all center around military war dogs.
    carrottopfromtexas2@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have read quite a few K-9 books or series. I love the K-9 continuity series! I have read the Pacific Northwest K-9 Unit, True Blue K-9 Unit, and more. Though I am not a dog lover in person, I absolutely adore reading about them in books!

    Heather Mitchell crhbmitchellfam@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I come from a long line of grade school teachers. We have this series of books for our classrooms and at home.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have read several K-9 books from the different series.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love that the search for the killer will stretch across the various books. I enjoy reading books with animals. I have been reading some western themed books with horses lately. lexihenegar at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I haven't read the series yet, but I love the storyline. This new addition sounds so intriguing, I love books with intelligent animals.

    Msredk at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete