Featured Post

Wednesday, April 17, 2024

The gifts of children .....Roxanne Rustand

I love seeing how children's interests and talents can show up at a young age. An artistic eye, perhaps. A talent for math, or music, or writing, or something else.

Sometimes, it seems to mirror that of someone else in the family. 

Have you seen this in your own family tree?  In yourself--with a special talent or something you have deeply enjoyed since childhood? Do you think it's nature (through DNA), or through nurture? I would love to hear your answers!

I grew up loving to draw, and wrote poetry and stories (childish at best) without any thought about where those interests came from.

But recently, after making some remarkable contacts with close relatives via 23andMe, I found a sibling who is a gifted artist, and who strongly considered becoming a writer before changing course. 


On the other side of my family tree, I found a first cousin who writes poetry and has published a book. Another first cousin seriously considered becoming a writer before choosing a different career.

My daughter is a writer. And now, I have two young granddaughters in different states—in late elementary school and middle school—who love to write. Each is working on a story and has over a hundred pages done.  So apparently, by sheer coincidence or DNA, an interest in writing has shown up again!  

I would love to hear about you. Did your interests take after someone in your family tree?

Leave a comment, and you will be in a drawing for a free e-book, a title of your choice. To see them all CLICK HERE.  Be sure to click "Sort by popularity, or you will see some outdated books at the top."


Blessings to you all, 

Roxanne Rustand





19 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing! I love hearing others stories. I take after my Mom who was a voracious reader and took me each week to the library as a child. I'd load up the and read in the evenings and weekends. Such a blessing πŸ“š still at 😊 thanks for the giveaway!
    kheldreth@neo.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so blessed to have been so strongly encouraged by your mom's example, and all of the times she took you to the library!

      Delete
  2. Duell-Moore BeverlyApril 17, 2024 at 10:01 AM

    I have the love of art from several ancestors. My daughter also has it. We also have a love for reading from those before us. I love photography and gardening like my dad. I see other traits through other family members, too. I think it’s from DNA more than nurturing.
    duellonlysis at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxanne here (Blogger is being glitchy and won't let me sign in with my name): I think you are right, after finding so many distinct, similar comparisons between me and relatives I only recently found through 23andMe!

      Delete
  3. I love to read. My grandmother read both the King James Version of the bible and the Roman Catholic version multiple times. Her son (my father) also loves to read. I guess that is who I get my love of reading from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxanne here (Blogger is being glitchy and won't let me sign in with my name): you have an amazing family history for being an avid reader!

      Delete
  4. I believe it's a bit of both. I'm not naturally inclined to paint although it was nutured in me. I think you have to have it through DNA (no one in my family paints) AND nutured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxanne here (Blogger is being glitchy and won't let me sign in with my name): I agree!

      Delete
  5. I love working in clay as well as writing but have no idea where my creativity came from. I only know my mother's side and none of them are that creative. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Patricia, perhaps you have famous writers and artists on the other half of your family tree!

      Delete
  6. I found a half sister and we are so much a like it's a little spooky. My kids are all grown now, but I did see when they were little different traits that developed that were like us, our parents, etc. Now I've gotten to see the same things in appearing in my 5 granddaughters! I've loved seeing each person develop their own sense of self and skills that are inherited.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roxanne here (Blogger is being glitchy and won't let me sign in with my name): Isn't it all just amazing to see such similarities!

    ReplyDelete
  8. no
    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. (CINDY MERRILL) My grandfather wrote poetry, but never told anyone; I suppose he was too afraid of rejection. It wasn't until after his death when I found out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always loved animals and wanted to be a veterinarian but didn't make it. My oldest son is a veterinarian and has a way with animals I envy. One of my great grandfathers was a blacksmith and my youngest son is a coppersmith. He has always been great with numbers so the math involved in his work is easy for him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My interests are reading (from my mom) and crocheting (from my grandmother). Mostly these days, I am interested in watching my grandchildren mature and grow and develop their own personalities. watts.vickie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nurturing is extremely important for a child to acquire skills whether it may be genetic or not. The child must be given materials and time to hone skills regardless. Encouragement goes a long way!! I would have been a voracious reader as a child if reading was encouraged, time was allowed for it, and a library card had been included. Farm work was endless plus a trip to town never included a library. In grade 10 my English teacher suggested Victoria Holt books. I loved them! It took a long time to finish one in study hall. I kept the school library book for quite a while. charlovesmark at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mom is very artistic, but not one of her four kids got that talent. I certainly wish I had!

    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. My Dad was a mechanic but I went into sales. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete