Featured Post

Thursday, November 17, 2022

Finding Holiday Joy in Hard Times.

 

Let me begin by saying Christmas always has been and still is my favorite holiday. This season from Thanksgiving to Christmas is the best time of year. But since my husband's death eight years ago and now with being in the midst of a cancer fight of my own, the holidays have changed for me. In many ways for the better. I haven't had the energy to rush around and create the most sparkley spectacular Christmas with matching decor and five star meal in years. Instead my joy comes from quieter, less busy things that are connected to Christmas. Below is a list of the things around Christmas that help me connect with the true meaning of Christmas: the birth of Jesus and the hope that event brought into the world. 

One. Christmas Eve service still holds a level of magic for me. The church I attend does a ritual at the end in which the lights are turned out and we light each other's candles until the whole room is illuminated. An object lesson on how Jesus brought light into a dark world. 

Two. I love walking by a house where the owner had put huge effort into decorating with bright lights and fun props. My own house is decorated very simply, so knowing that someone is willing to share the Christmas spirit with strangers makes me happy. 

Three. My memories of childhood and waiting in the fall for the JcPenney Christmas catalogue makes me smile. I grew up in a rural part of Montana where shopping was fifty miles away, so the catalogue was a way to access the magic that a child feels at Christmas. My sister and I would sit side by side and turn the pages each of us pointing out which toys we wanted. The pictures in the catalogue weren't just selling toys; they captured some Christmas magic back when there were only two TV stations to watch. 

Four. The movie Charlie Brown Christmas makes me nostalgic and joyful at the same time. The part where Linus tells the Christmas story from Luke always lifts my spirits. 

That's my list of how I capture Christmas Joy. I prefer simple to complicated, expensive, filled with unrealistic expectations etc. How about you are there simple things that bring you back to the true meaning of Christmas? Is there a movie you watch every year? A tradition or ritual that is low key but deeply meaningful? Has the way you celebrate holidays changed over the years because of life events? Leave a comment and you email address, I will be giving away a copy of Christmas Hostage or Alaskan Christmas Target


8 comments:

  1. I think having grandchildren has brought back the magic of Christmas for me. The holiday changed when our son moved out and started his own family. I no longer cooked Christmas dinner or got up early to open presents with him. Now, we go to his house and his wonderful wife cooks a delicious meal - and we get to watch our grandchildren open gifts. It's different, but it's still special. I experience Christmas through their eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love experiencing Christmas through my grands! They won't be here for Christmas, but I'll see some of them this next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your ideas! Christmas has bocome too much work for me honestly but I want to recapture the fun it used to be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. time with family
    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Christmas has gotten hard since my daughter doesn't want us around anymore. Wont come over or bring granddaughter. Only lives 10 min. away. My two granddaughters put up my tree until last year. I didn't put one up but I didn't get them to come over and ipen their gifts. I got to work through pain and try to put mine up for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to keep things simpler. We decorate outside with a nativity scene and lighted candy canes. I enjoy listening to Christmas music and looking at our tree. My favorite movie is Elf. Always makes me laugh. I might be going on my 3rd cancer journey again so everything is special. We enjoy riding and looking at lights too. Always remembering that Jesus is the reason for the season!
    marypopmom (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s hard to find that joy because so many are missing and I don’t have any grandkids.
    Onlysis06

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post. We'll be with family and friends this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete