Featured Post

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Dog Days of Summer...Almost

by Patricia Bradley


It’s so hot in Mississippi that even the mosquitos have moved north, and I don’t want to spend all day in the kitchen slaving over a hot stove. So I’ve been making a few easy one-dish meals and desserts. The meal I like best is my Cornbread Salad dish. While you have to make the cornbread (and none of that sweet stuff), you can make it early in the morning before it gets too hot.





Easy-Peasy Cornbread Salad

1 skillet of cornbread
Pinto beans – about one cup (I either cook my own or buy Luck’s)
Chopped red or Vidalia onion – to taste
Red, yellow, or green bell peppers
Shredded lettuce
Grape tomatoes cut in half or diced regular tomatoes
Shredded Cheese or parmesan cheese sprinkled over the top
Bacon bits


Directions for cornbread (makes enough for 2-4 people:
1 cup cornmeal mix (I use White Lily)
1 egg
½ cup buttermilk
Stir together and pour into a small black skillet or 8” cake pan. Bake at 400 degrees approximately 20 minutes until top springs back when touched (like a cake)

Salad:
Heat the pinto beans and spoon approximately ½ cup of the beans into an individual bowl. Crumble a slice of cornbread over the beans. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, onion, bacon bits, and pepper. Drizzle with dressing.

Dressing:
To ½ cup mayonnaise add dill pickle juice to desired consistency.


Don't forget to enter our Summer of Suspense contest!!

2 comments:

  1. HA! Even the mosquitoes have moved north! In Arizona we say it's so hot that even the scorpions want to come in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Keep your mosquitoes, my dear friend. We have plenty in Ohio already. Thanks so much for this super recipe. I like original cornbread so much better than the sweetened stuff my parents used to make. I will look for the White Lily mix. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete