Featured Post

Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Thoughts on Winter


I am finding that I set a lot of my suspense books in winter. One reason for that is that a cold, blizzard prone setting adds to the danger the characters face. The other reason is that I know winter well because I live in a part of the world where winters are long and sometimes harsh. Feedback from readers indicates that they find my descriptions of this season believable. One reader told me she could feel the cold as she read my books. My book that comes out at the end of December, Taken in Wyoming, takes place mostly in the icy frozen month of January. 

Though I have lived in a place where long cold winters were a reality, I have a love hate relationship with the season. I love being where it snows at Christmas time and I love cozy winter days when I have nowhere to go and can stay inside and watch the snow fall. I love the feeling of having been out in the cold and then coming inside for a hot cup of tea. I don't even mind shoveling snow as long as it isn't cold enough to freeze my nose hairs. It's good exercise. 

There is plenty I don't like about winter. I've never been a winter sports person. So even though I see bumper stickers that say "think snow" for the people who love to ski, that has not been my thing. As I get older, driving on the snow and ice wears on me. Having to plan an extra twenty minutes to let your car warm up before you can go anywhere is a pain. Slipping on the ice is not fun. 

I love to live in a place where the is a distinct change in the seasons, but sometimes I wish winter was just a little shorter and a little warmer. What are your thoughts on the coldest season? Maybe you live in a place where winter isn't a factor. What do you love about that? Leave a comment with your email address. I will pick three people two copies of Taken in Wyoming so you can experience winter while in your cozy warm house. 

Sharon Dunn




 

No comments:

Post a Comment