Featured Post

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

QUESTIONS, ANSWERS, AND A MURDER WEAPON!



I asked readers what they’d like me to write about today, and you came through with some great questions! I’m answering the first few here and saving the rest for my next column.

Lela White asked: Could you share how you helped solve a murder?

Many years ago, a well-known woman in Wichita was murdered. One of my close friends managed an apartment complex for her. The woman, who was a very kind person, had helped a couple who lived in that same complex.

A few days after the murder, I was talking to my friend on the phone when she happened to mention that the couple was parked outside on the street. They’d rented a U-Haul and were moving away. I believe they were planning to leave town. Something about that bothered me. I told my friend to hang up and call the police. Immediately. She wasn’t sure about ia at first, but after talking to her husband, she decided to follow through and called 911.

The police arrived and searched the U-Haul.

They found the murder weapon! The couple was arrested and confessed to the crime.

Mark A. Buzard asked: Why do you write Christian suspense as opposed to other genres in and out of Christian fiction?

I grew up reading Nancy Drew, and I’ve always loved mysteries and suspense. I really can’t imagine writing anything else.

I started out writing traditional mysteries, then moved into cozy mysteries. Later, a publisher asked me to write Old Order Mennonite suspense. They already had an Amish author who had exclusive rights to write that genre for them, so they asked me to write novels that had a similar feel—but weren’t Amish.

After I’d written several books for them, my current publisher came calling. I continued writing Mennonite suspense for them, but eventually I asked if we could move the Mennonite element into the background and bring the suspense forward. They agreed. Then I asked if I could write straight suspense. They agreed to that too!

And that’s how I ended up where I am today. Although I write suspense, every book I write also contains a mystery. I guess Nancy Drew still has a little influence on me after all these years.

Sherry Legan asked about podcasts.

I’m not completely sure what you wanted to know about podcasts, Sherry, but I can tell you that I’ve been interviewed on several, and I’ve enjoyed them. It’s fun to meet new people and actually talk with them rather than simply typing responses to interview questions.

However, the shy part of me still prefers hiding behind my keyboard. Given the choice, I’d usually rather do a written interview.

Terry Fleming said: I agree with Mark A. Buzard!

Thanks, Terry. I answered his question! Hugs, my friend.

Tina Johansen Klag asked: Talk about how leaning on your faith helps you to write your stories.

I dedicate my books to God, and I pray for His guidance as I write. I know He gave me this gift, so I trust Him to help me create stories that will point readers toward Him.

And for me, it goes even deeper than that.

I love writing suspense and mystery, but if I couldn’t include an element of faith, I wouldn’t want to write at all. Someday, we’ll stand before God. I don’t believe He’ll care about how many books we sold or how many awards we won. What will matter is whether we used the gifts He gave us to make a difference for Him. That’s what I pray to do with every story I write.

Vickie Watts asked: How did you get the idea for the Erin Delaney books, and what inspired you to write Christian romantic suspense?

I knew I wanted to write about an author. (Gee, I wonder why?)

I also knew how much readers loved a character from one of my previous series—Kaely Quinn. So, I asked my publisher if I could bring Kaely back in a new series. They said yes. And thus, the Erin Delaney Mysteries were born!

Thanks so much to everyone who submitted questions—and to all of you who took the time to read my column. I’ll answer more reader questions next time.

And now for a giveaway!

Leave a comment with your name and your contact information, for a chance to win a copy of my current release, FATAL FINALE. (Print or Kindle. Print copies in the U.S. only.)


They’d started back to the house when they heard a male voice behind them. Then a shot rang out.

“Run!” Kaely said.

When bestselling author Erin Delaney’s novel gets picked up for a movie deal, she eagerly awaits her friend Kaely Quinn-Hunter’s arrival in Tennessee before they head to California to observe the film’s production. However, when Kaely doesn’t arrive at the scheduled time and Erin can’t reach her by phone, her concern grows.

A cryptic phone call from Kaely’s kidnapper confirms Erin’s worst fear—she has exactly six days to save her friend’s life by solving his twisted clues. The message comes with a warning: Contact the police or FBI, and Kaely dies. But Erin works for the Sanctuary Police Department, and Kaely’s husband is with the FBI, putting her in an impossible situation.

As Erin races against time, she must crack the kidnapper’s chilling puzzle before it’s too late.


Nancy Mehl delivers thrills like no one else in the conclusion of her high-stakes Christian romantic suspense series, full of action, investigations, cryptic clues, and dangerous threats. This finale promises to captivate fans of Criminal Minds, Lynette Eason, Colleen Coble, Irene Hannon, Susan May Warren, and Elizabeth Goddard.


3 comments:

  1. Nancy, your novels are epic page turners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great questions. Great answers! 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for answering my question. So far, Kaely and Erin are my favorite characters from your books. I can’t wait to see what you come up with next! watts.vickie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete