Featured Post

Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Come Forth as Gold

 


"But He knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold. 
          Job 23:10

I don't know how to describe what I am going through right now, a desert time, a season of solitude, a time of waiting and wondering where God is in all this. For some time now, I have felt that something should change in my life with my writing and yet, I feel stuck and not sure what I should do. Also, as a widow, I experience a lot of loneliness and I have felt it more deeply in the past few months. It feels like I'm always having to drum up social interaction texting friends all the time to see if they want to get together. Often, they are busy with spouses or grandchildren. I am longing for a more connected life and for a community of people who are more available. I've been praying for that. And so, I wait and I pray. 

I'm sure that verse in James where it says we should rejoice in our trials came into your mind. I know it always does for me. While I know no one ever does a cheer and yells "Hip hip hooray another trial" I have been trying to practice gratitude in the midst of this feeling stuck. I ask God for the baby steps to do each day to change what my life looks like. And I wait and I pray and I pray some more. And sometimes I grow impatient. This is a trust exercise between me and God and sometimes I don't pass the trust test. 

I love the visual that that verse in Job gives of coming forth as gold. Such a beautiful picture of how trials shape us into something of value. And I am holding on to that. It gives me hope. How about you? Do you recall a desert time or a time of waiting? How did it turn out? Maybe you are in the midst of a trial right now or wondering if God has lost your number. I'd love to hear about it. Leave a comment with your email address. I will choose three people to receive a copy of my Love Inspired Suspense title Defending the Child (USA only).   

Sharon Dunn




2 comments:

  1. It was when my first husband abandoned me and our son when he was two. The struggles with loneliness can be overwhelming, but 14 years later I met a wonderful man. Celebrated 33 years of marriage this past June. ceedee1958@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for sharing. Love that story of restoration.

      Delete