August has a way of making me dream about cooler days. After weeks of
heat and humidity, I find myself looking forward to crisp autumn mornings,
colorful leaves, and that first cup of coffee that actually stays hot for more
than five minutes.
It got me thinking about something else—does the season in which a story
is set change your reading experience?
As a reader, I’m partial to fall and Christmas stories, but I do enjoy ones
set in every season They each bring something different to the page.
Spring is full of possibility. New beginnings make it the perfect
backdrop for mysteries that uncover long-buried secrets. My novel Unsolved
Amish Abduction begins in the spring, when life is starting anew, yet
danger is lurking just beneath the surface.
Summer can be deceptive. Bright sunshine, family vacations, festivals,
and picnics don't seem like the setting for a suspense novel, but that's
exactly what makes summer mysteries so effective. The contrast between idyllic
days and dark secrets can make the danger feel even more unsettling. Among
the Innocent unfolds during the summer, when appearances can be wonderfully
misleading.
Autumn has always felt like mystery season to me. Maybe it's the shorter
days, falling leaves, or the hint of winter in the air. There's something about
October that practically begs for a good suspense novel and a cozy blanket. Grave
Peril is set during the fall, a season that naturally lends itself to
suspense.
Then there's winter. Snow can isolate people, icy roads can delay help,
and long nights create the perfect atmosphere for tension. Add Christmas to the
mix, and the contrast between holiday celebrations and hidden danger makes for
a compelling story. Shattered Amish Identity takes place during the
Christmas season, where hope and heartache often walk hand in hand.
As a writer, I don't consciously choose a season because I think readers
will like it more. Instead, I let the story tell me where it belongs. Sometimes
the weather becomes almost another character, shaping the mood, creating
obstacles, or even offering clues.
As a reader, though, I do notice that my choices often match the
calendar. I tend to reach for lighter reads in the spring, beach reads and
page-turners in the summer, mysteries and thrillers in the fall, and cozy or
atmospheric suspense during the winter. Of course, there are always
exceptions—a great story is a great story, no matter what the thermometer says.
How about you?
Do you have a favorite season to read about? Do you enjoy snowy
mysteries, spooky autumn thrillers, sunny summer suspense, or stories filled
with the promise of spring? Or does the season make no difference as long as
the story keeps you turning the pages?
Comment for a chance to win an eBook of the winner’s choice from one of
these seasonal suspense novels:
- Spring: Unsolved Amish Abduction
- Summer: Among the Innocent
- Fall: Grave Peril
- Winter: Shattered Amish Identity
To enter, tell me which season you most enjoy reading about—and why.
Be sure to include your email along with your comments!


I love books that are set in fall. It’s such a beautiful seson. Also, the crunchy leaves make it more difficult to get away.
ReplyDeleteYes, they do, Jean!
DeleteI most enjoy reading about winter. The cold and the harshness of landscapes add to the mystery for me. watts.vickie@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteI love that time as well. Being snowed in with danger lurking. No way out. Love it.
DeleteI enjoy reading about fall as those of us in Texas don't typically have this season. I love the color explosion and the cooler temperatures!
ReplyDeleteI like to read stories based in winter because we hardly ever get snow in Alabama just once Id love to have a lot of snow on Christmas. mugglemom04@yahoo.com
ReplyDeleteI enjoy winter tales. Cozy fires, snow, holidays, etc.
ReplyDeleteI like spring it's my birthday month & Eastertime.
ReplyDeleteSeasons does not influence what I read at all.
ReplyDelete