Featured Post

Tuesday, August 25, 2026

AI. How much is too much?

AI. How much is too much? That’s the big question.

Is any AI acceptable in writing? My kneejerk is ABSOLUTELY NOT. But I’m finding there is some nuance in the debate (as there is in pretty much any debate).

The actual writing of the book:

When it comes to actually writing the book, I believe NO AI is acceptable. I’m too much of a control freak anyway. I don’t even let it refine my emails at work—though I have some coworkers who are greatly benefiting from that feature. I want my work to be my voice, even if it can be outside the norm a bit. I think that’s a benefit, not a bug. I purposefully do not want to sound like everyone else. And I want my stories to be my stories. I want to convey the emotion to the reader myself. I want to create interesting and complex characters. If you don’t like to do those things, get out of the writing game.

Editing

I lump this into the same category as above. Maybe it makes me a snob, but I believe writers should know the ins and outs of writing. We should understand grammar, punctuation, story-telling techniques, how to pull emotion out of the reader. But some may say, “We use editors—isn’t that the same thing?” No, I don’t think it is. A good editor helps a writer see certain things from a different angle and asks questions that make the writer think—it’s all human-based. A machine cannot understand that. I guess you could drop your work into AI and tell it to find typos, but that still just doesn’t set right with me. For one thing, Word already makes grammatical suggestions (which are very often wrong) so I doubt AI would be much more help, and secondly, as a writer, I cringe at the idea of dropping my whole work into AI.

“Tests” to confirm if a work is AI

Some claim that you can drop text into AI and have it confirm if it was written by AI. However, I’ve seen more than one story about how past works (much, much older than AI) have been dropped in and come back over 90% AI. For that reason, I caution anyone to judge any contemporary authors.

Em dashes

I’ve heard from several sources that use of em dashes in a work is a sign of AI. Um, no. It’s a sign that a writer knows how to use various forms of punctuation. Most writers do use em dashes.

Google substitute

Where I do think it can be okay to use AI is as a Google substitute during research. Writing requires a lot of research, so having that bit of help organizing information from across the internet is great. Of course, it’s still our job as authors to confirm the accuracy of the information by going to the source material and diving deeper as needed.

Cover art

The cover artist I’m currently working with is hardcore NO AI. I respect her for that. But I don’t know if I would judge anyone too harshly for using AI to some degree on cover art, especially if it’s creating a single element to be encompassed within a larger design, when that larger design was envisioned by the cover artist his/herself. A lot of cover artists use only images they can buy, but you can’t always find exactly the thing you have in your head (though I find AI is not always good at that either).

Illustrations

I do not like the idea of illustrations being AI-generated. I buy a lot of picture books for my 4-year-old and love looking at the illustrations that some artist painstakingly created. Perhaps AI illustrations feel too much like the story itself being written by AI. In picture books, the illustrations are just as important as the words.

Marketing art/memes

This is probably the one semi-artistic area where I don’t care that much. Maybe I should. Afterall, artists put a lot of work into marketing materials too, and I respect that. I guess it doesn’t bother me that much since it’s a supporting aspect of the main work (i.e. the book). Writers were already making their own marketing materials much of the time; AI just helps them do it better.

Those are my brief thoughts. What do you think? Both as readers and/or writers.

~~~

Melissa Koslin is a fourth-degree black belt and certified instructor, with a background in multiple disciplines, including Taekwondo and Krav Maga. In her day job as a commercial property manager, she secretly notes personal quirks and funny situations, ready to tweak them into colorful additions for her books. She, her husband, their young daughter, and two feisty cats live in Yulee, Florida, where they do their best not to melt in the sun. Find more information on her books at MelissaKoslin.com.


Coming 9/15/26: Endless as the Rain

Adriane is kidnapped by the son of a mobster. Alec is certainly dangerous, but is he a threat to her or is he truly trying to protect her from attempts on her life? She must uncover the truth of his past, how it entwines with her own, if she wants to survive. 

If you loved Dangerous Beauty, you'll love Endless as the Rain.

18 comments:

  1. I use ChatGPT for research, editing, and other things. However, I don't let it actually write for me. And, I'm not a fan of A.I. generated book covers. My son is a graphic designer. The idea of putting human designers out of work isn't something I can support. And as far as editing? I only let it do light editing - typos - repetition - and helping me to tie all my clues together. It's been very helpful. But the final editors are with my publishing house. I'm not doing anything that will put anyone out of work. Within those confines, I think A.I. can be a benefit. I do worry a little about what's coming though. At some point, there may need to be boundaries set that A.I. isn't allowed to cross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As most things, there are good points for AI and bad. It's not black and white. If you use Word's spellcheck, you're using AI. I use it for research and when on deadline and I have a clunky sentence, I'll throw it into my personal (that I own) AI program to see how it thinks the sentence could be better. I don't use it as it comes from AI, but it helps me to brainstorm.

    The problems I see with AI is one, it can tend to make us lazy. Two, it doesn't have my voice and is one reason I never use any of the sentences it generates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. And Word spellcheck isn't that good--I'm not about to trust AI to be correct.

      Delete
  3. AI should be used with wisdom. As with anything it can be used for good and evil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am leery of AI. Interesting thoughts, and your book sounds really good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very leery of it at first, and now I'm moving to cautious. In my day job, I want to be sure I don't get left behind. I've known too many people who put their foot down with many past tech advances, and they quickly became obsolete or at least a drain on coworkers (I knew a lady once who refused to learn even how to use the snipping tool or literally anything else--it was such a hassle).

      Delete
  5. I agree that it definitely needs to be used with wisdom and discernment. My husband uses AI a lot in his job for ideas on how to market himself, etc. I stay away from it as much as possible... but it is impossible to never use it unless you don't use technology AT ALL.

    And I agree about spell check and autocorrect! I turned off autocorrect on my phone because it was driving me CrAzY!

    Heather Mitchell crhbmitchellfam@duck.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like everyone else, something can be created for good ends up being used for bad things. Your story sounds thrilling, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree totally. As a reader, we follow author because we love that they do their own research, their storytelling abilities, and that we love their books. I thing AI would make them all the same and eventually uninteresting.
    2clowns at arkansas dot net

    ReplyDelete
  8. AI can be a useful tool, especially for research in lieu of a Google search. And it is best difficult to avoid completely anymore if you use any sort of technology.

    That being said, as a former teacher, I draw the line at using AI to write answers, essays, stores, etc. One of theThings I dislike about AI is that using it for these things does not require people to do work or learn themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m fine with writers using A1 in the non writing portion of the book but please tell me the reader if it is written by A1 or I can opt out in my gmail account before google decided to did it. I hate hearing that kind of stuff online.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a reader, I do not want to read AI. I would be happy if there was no AI. I am an older adult and prefer the older ways just like I prefer print books. I do not use ChatGPT and wouldn't know how. Just call me old-fashioned.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think authors should be careful using AI, even only for editing. Will it still be your intellectual property when you upload it to AI. Even only part of the manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a well thought out article on AI. It’s not as simple of an issue as I thought. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete