Featured Post

Thursday, August 15, 2024

Things that go bump in the night... and a new release! Roxanne Rustand



Have you ever experienced something that ought to be in a book?  

If I wrote paranormal or horror fiction instead of clean, small-town romantic suspense, I could have ended up with some good research on a recent family trip! 

The Airbnb we stayed in was lovely, a home that could have been featured in a magazine. We were awed by the layout and decor--a formal dining room with a fireplace, high ceilings, two full bathrooms, three bedrooms, and a gorgeous white, completely updated kitchen.  

The home was supplied with lovely china, glassware, goblets, wine glasses, and serving platters—everything one could ask for if they were serving a meal during a holiday stay. The off-season rate was very reasonable, and it all looked perfect. 


And it was, until...

The lights began brightening and fading out, then brightening and fading out again. They would be fine for a while, then start fluctuating again.  

The microwave abruptly snapped and blew out while not in use.


The air conditioner stopped working. I turned on one of the bathroom lights, which was suspended from the high ceiling, and it sizzled, popped, and blew out.

I'm sure the owners (lovely people) have addressed the electrical situation already. But it wasn't just the electrical system. One of the toilets quit working. And then the grand finale...

The night before we checked out, I cleaned up the kitchen and put a final coffee cup in the cabinet where it belonged, on a higher shelf...and the entire, extra long, heavily loaded shelf of glassware and cups collapsed.

As if on a children's slide at a park, all of its contents sped toward me, the weight of it unstoppable, shattering on the counters, stove, sink, and floor. And...the dinnerware on the shelf below was toast as well. 

If I hadn't been wearing shoes, I would have been marooned in the sea of glass all over the floor.

I don't believe in poltergeists, but this experience does seem like a taste of something out of a horror movie: unwitting travelers end up in a perfect place almost too good to be true, and then things start to happen.  LOL!

Have you ever had a strange experience like this? 

I would love to hear about it! Leave a comment, and you will be in a drawing for a free copy of any ebook in my Northern Pines Suspense series.


On a happier note, I have a new release this week!  DANGEROUS SECRETS is a clean, small-town romantic suspense. 


Do you believe in second chances? Here's a quick peek:

The last thing she'd expected was to see her husband back in town.

He'd wanted to start a family. Jill had wanted to wait...just for a while, while she established her medical practice in this small town. But in the midst of that uncertainty and other, bigger issues, he'd simply walked out. Or...was it really that simple?

Now he's back in town, and an unknown enemy appears whose threats are escalating against them both.

And then one night changes everything...

Click here to read more about it on Amazon. Free on Kindle Unlimited, or just $3.99 to buy.


Wishing you a wonderful summer,

Roxanne Rustand
www.roxannerustand.com




23 comments:

  1. no
    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Roxanne! I've heard so many wonderful stories about AirBNBs, but this one is a little on the creepy side! Yikes! And so glad you weren't injured!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that's just bizarre! I hope they didn't charge you for damages from the shelf collapse!! So glad you were wearing shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness!!! That sounds awful. Hopefully you are able to laugh about it a little bit! What a story to be able to share with the younger generation in your family tree!
    When are children were little ( 35 years ago) we got us a room on line in Washington DC. When we got there and went to our room. The bed looked like someone had just ate fried chicken on it. You had to park your car in an underground gated parking lot. There was homeless people on the steps where you entered the hotel. Needless to say . I told my husband we are not staying here!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just shared the story about the hotel that our family visited in Washington DC. I forgot to put my name and email.🤦🏻‍♀️
    So I’m doing it in this one and hoping it will count for the comment I made before. Sorry!!!
    Sherry Brown
    ozdot4@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you were not hurt. Sounds like poor workmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had that experience. I was lying in bed one night and I heard a crash, I got up and found out that a shelf in my china cabinet had collapsed causing my china that my parents bought in Japan to come crashing down onto the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a weird experience. We had a trip where everything kept going wrong - delayed flight, me getting a migraine, a passenger on the previous flight throwing up on the plane so another delay while they cleaned, driving to our hotel and being hit by a deer - yes it ran into us, and then a toilet that wouldn't stop running in our hotel room. It was the longest day ever!!! lexihenegar at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not sure I would have been abel to finish out my stay. I hope the owners gave compensation for the inconveniences. This definitely belongs in a book. frazierhlhs@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, that escalated quickly! I'm glad you weren't hurt in the shower of glassware, and I hope that you were properly compensated for the craziness of your stay. "They" say, "Truth is stranger than fiction!"

    Heather Mitchell crhbmitchellfam@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds intriguing. I lived through an apartment fire thanks to our dog who woke me up. My Mom lived across the street. On our way to her house, I noticed a gentleman walking to the corner. When we made it to my Mom's she was at the door and opened it right away. She said a gentleman had knocked and woke her up. She looked through the peephole. He told her she needed to get up. That Debbie needed her. My Mom and I are the only ones to see the gentleman. dpruss@prodigy.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've lived in a few houses where crazy things happened all of the time. Things turning on and off, our things getting moved from room to room or disappearing for periods of time and then showing back up in places they never would have been. The older I got the less it bothered me.

    Laredo at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dangerous Secrets sounds like a page turner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a crazy adventure! I can’t say I’ve had anything like that happen but we have had crazy experiences with flight delays and barely catching a plane after running through the airport. Lcisson at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm, I think I will want to pass on such experiences!
    Janice M.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, no but I did actually see a ghost when I was four years old, my grandfather's farm was built over the graves of an ancient burial ground in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was a stay that you will not likely want to repeat. I know I would want to stay there again and only if I was assured everything was in working order.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow--what an experience for you....and I do believe in second chances!! --Connie H chendryx(at)nctv(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have seen ghosts and believe in them

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes I believe in second chances. Enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete