Featured Post

Tuesday, August 20, 2024

FINDING "YOUR CALLING."

 


When I was in my forties, I still had no idea what my “calling” was. According to my pastor – and several of my Christian friends – we all had them. So…I began to search for mine. I tried a lot of different things. I made dolls, did quite a bit of sewing, painted (I wasn’t good), different craft things, and I spent time cooking lots of different dishes that took a long time and included a lot of ingredients. (Now, I just make easy dishes!) I worked as an underwriting director at a non-profit Christian radio station, was a forced-placed insurance supervisor for a bank, ran the food program for The Salvation Army, and designed and ran a HUD program for the City of Wichita. I enjoyed these jobs, especially working in social services, but up until the time I worked for the bank, I still hadn’t found the thing that I felt I was born to do. However, while I was there, I heard a Bible teacher suggest that many times, if you went back to what you did naturally as a child, you might discover the gifts God had given you. I thought back to my childhood, and three things stood out. The first – my training to race barrels in the rodeo probably wasn’t going to lead me to my calling. The second thing that stood out was my love of reading. I read all the time. In elementary school I’d check out five or six books from the school library and read them all in one night. (Under the covers with a flashlight!) By junior high (called middle school now), I’d read every book written by Charles Dickens who is still my favorite author. In high school, I started writing poems. In my English class, our teacher assigned all of us to write three poems. Because of problems at home, I was pretty shut down during my teenage years. But when I heard this assignment, I was excited. Maybe my English teacher would see something special in me. I wasn’t a confident person and really needed a reason to feel good about myself. So, I wrote the poems and turned them in. One day she announced that she was going to read our poems, however, she wasn’t going to tell us who wrote them. I could hardly wait. But when she read mine, she announced to the class that she was sure she’d read them before. In other words, she accused me of plagiarism. I was crushed. And so ended my desire to write. But looking back upon that experience, I began to wonder. Could she possibly have said what she did because she thought the poems were good? Too good for a high school student who wasn’t standing out in her classroom? If so, was it possible I was actually called to be a writer?


So, one day, during my lunch break at the bank, I decided to see if I could write a novel on my computer. By the third page, I was certain this was NOT what I was called to do. It was hard. Really hard. As I stared at the page in front of me, a soft voice whispered inside. Try it one more time. I took a deep breath and started to type again. Suddenly, the words began to flow. And all these years later, they still come when I need them.

 

Is that the end of my writing story? No. When I realized I didn’t know anything about writing, I took a year off to study. Along the way, I became aware that a writing career was going to take a lot of my time. A lot. I would have to spend less time with my family, with my volunteer work, and at church. I had to know that this was what God wanted me to do. He needed to confirm that this really was “my calling” before I made the necessary changes in my life. I love snow, especially because God had used it when I was a child to let me know I was loved, and that He could hear my prayers. (That’s another story.) So, I picked a week on the calendar and prayed. I asked God to make it snow during that week if He wanted me to become a serious writer. One note: the week I picked was in April. No snow was in the forecast. I found out later that in Wichita, where I lived, there hadn’t been measurable snow in April for forty years. (I almost fainted when I discovered this!) That week, on Friday, everyone was surprised when it snowed nine inches! After that, I dedicated myself to a writing career.

 

It’s been twenty-five years since that day at the bank. Today, I have over fifty published books and I’m still writing. I’ll probably write for the rest of my life. Although the writing life can be difficult (deadlines and rewrites…arrrrgh!), there’s nothing else I’d rather do. I love creating stories that not only entertain, but also, I hope, deliver a touch from God, letting readers know how much they are loved.


Leave me a comment, along with your email address, and you could win a copy of COLD VENGEANCE, my newest release. You can pick eBook or print but print copies only for those in the U.S. please.

58 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and inspiring story! God doesn’t do things by halves and there was no way 9” could be mistaken for anything but an answer to your prayer. Congratulations on your newest book baby. Becca12901 at yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree. God made it pretty clear. LOL!

      Delete
  2. What an interesting life you have had! I love the inspiring writing story.

    Nancy
    allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Especially the part about the snow! My English teacher told me to forget creative writing, but that I could write & pursue a career in journalism. No thank you! So right now I prefer to help promote CF authors & their ministries. There are better reviewers out there, but I enjoy doing it so much! I love promoting your books, Nancy! Please don't enter me as I already have a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for everything you do for writers, Diana. And thanks for everything you've done for me. Love you lots!

      Delete
    2. The pleasure is all mine. Love you, too, sweet lady!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Very neat to know how you got confirmation you found your calling. I would love to win this for my maw since I already have a copy of this fantastic book!

    paralegal7 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for an interesting post. It sounds like a really interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Thanks for your comment, Diana.

      Delete
  6. I love hearing how you became a writer. Your talent is definitely a God-given gift. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Duell-Moore BeverlyAugust 21, 2024 at 9:02 AM

    What a great story! Knowing what God wants you to do is so hard. I had heard the same thing about going back to your childhood and things you loved. Oh, the great stories we’d be missing if God hadn’t let the snow come down that day! Thank you, Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a number of different jobs over the years and never felt like any of them were my ‘calling’. However, for the past 12 years I have had the privilege of reading and reviewing more wonderful books than I can possibly count. This is my ‘calling’ and I thank the Lord every day for the chance to help promote good Christian literature.
    Thanks for the giveaway - I have not had the chance to read the 3rd book in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're calling is so important to authors. Thank you so much for everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How you found your calling is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how you discovered your calling. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would love to win a print copy and review it. jrs0350@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! Your stories are definitely a ministry.

    smincer10 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  14. interesting post
    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nancy, it is amazing how God closes doors until the intended door is ready to be opened. It’s also in the timing.
    You’re a great writer. I’ve discovered your books recently. Where have you been all of my life?! LOL

    char loves mark @ g mail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I happen to think you are an amazing person and author. I would love to have your latest awesome work. Stella.potts77@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stella. I think you're pretty amazing too. :)

      Delete
  17. I don't know that I've found my calling but I poured myself into mothering for the first 30 years of adulthood and at that time, it was my calling. My youngest is 12 and I'm taking it a day at a time. Sometimes our calling comes when we just do the next thing in obedience to Christ. Other times He makes it obvious. Trust and obey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. Actually, I was pretty dense. Too bad God had to send so much snow for me to get the idea. LOL!

      Delete
  18. Love your books. cheetahthecat1982ATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nancy,I picked up reading late last year.I started with the Sugarcreek Amish ones,where you wrote a couple,and then started to read everything that you've done.I still short of 2 different series but I'm enjoying everything that you've written.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whew! You have tried a lot of things! I'm so glad that God made your calling clear. It's interesting how teachers can have so much power over young, impressionable minds. My husband's high school reading teacher ended up making him hate reading, which is so sad!

    I can't wait to read this series... it sounds so intriguing!

    Heather Mitchell crhbmitchellfam at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am almost 70 and am not sure I ever found my calling. I thought I had when I became a teacher but was so relieved when I retired that I'm not sure it was a calling or not. I'm glad you found yours so the rest of us have good books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Snow in April would be unusual in many places. I'm so glad you followed your calling!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the inspirational "calling" that has propelled to pursue your writing journey! Thank you for your persistence and perseverance, and we have the opportunity to read your wonderful thrillers!! I have worked different jobs - a chemist, a production supervisor, a marketing personnel, and now as a teacher's aide working with students who have exceptional needs. Working with kids ranks the lowest as far as my job options because I am not sure if I will do a good job working with kids. And here I am! Maybe I am following God's guidance.
    cwkuen(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am grateful for those who encouraged you along the way - and for that snow in April! Your novels flow so well that they are easy to read and hard to put down! Thank you for finding and following your calling! obdosborne at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. The comments from your high school English teacher about broke my heart for you! But I'm so glad you persevered and found God's calling!
    carrottopfromtexas2@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so glad You found your calling, and I enjoyed reading about how it came about! I enjoy your reads and genre and would love to get a print copy! tWarner419@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for this post Nancy. I really helped me. I was a voracious reader my whole life, I write poetry and I was good at art in junior high school but never continued with it. I am getting ready to pursue art again and try to get some of my poetry published. I hear one is never to old to try. I'm almost 72 years young.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Our God is so wonderful! Keep writing for His glory!
    kykla99ATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank You for sharing this with us and your book sounds like such a great book please enter me Sarahbaby601973(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW! Fascinating life. And such clear guidance from God. And what you wrote about your school days I could have been written. Things were rough in my home, too, plus having undiagnosed Aspergers didn't help. I actually worked in our school's Library and loved it, because I could drag an arm load of books home to read, often and pretend to be sick so I could stay home from school and read. It was my safe place. However, unlike you, I'm now 77, and I'm still looking for my "calling." I have several passions, but none I can turn into a career as they all require money and don't bring any in. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  31. Frustrated! It won't let me correct a couple typos. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW! Fascinating life. And such clear guidance from God. And what you wrote about your school days I could have been written. Things were rough in my home, too, plus having undiagnosed Aspergers didn't help. I actually worked in our school's Library and loved it, because I could drag an arm load of books home to read, and I'd often pretend to be sick so I could stay home from school and read. It was my safe place. However, unlike you, I'm now 77, and still looking for my "calling." I have several passions, but none I can turn into a career as they all require money and none will generate any... that I know of. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very interesting post. I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete