Featured Post

Tuesday, May 25, 2021

What Makes a Good Mystery? (Volume 2)

 

Last month, I asked the question, what makes a good mystery? I love a good mystery, and I’ve found a number of things in some of my favorites that end up giving me that ahhhhhhh at the end of a story.

Several of you shared your favorite elements in mysteries, and the one I have for today was mentioned over and over again in last month's comments. It is a must for a good mystery or suspense!

Plot Twists

I love it when I see a story headed one direction, and it suddenly doubles back or goes down some alley I didn’t even notice. Like a magician, an author of excellence will give us a slight of hand trick, capturing our attention in one way while working a little mischief in another.

Twists make mysteries great, but they have to be reasonable. 

Decades ago, there was a movie where a number of fictional detectives were gathered together for a special dinner party. They (and their authors) were accused of “criminal acts” such as introducing the antagonist for the first time at the very end of the story, allowing the hero to have information that isn’t given to the reader, and so on. It was a spoofy movie, but it makes a good point. Have you ever read a book that had something like these “literary misdeeds?” What other twisted "misdeeds" have you seen besides the two that were mentioned?

Twists are a necessity for a mystery or suspense, but they should have a few rules.

  •          Be logical
  •          Connect
  •          Have roots

Being logical is self-explanatory – “Elementary, my dear Watson.” The twist might come from right field, but once it has been revealed, heads should nod. “Of course” or “Why didn’t I see that?” might come to mind.

A twist should also connect to something. This leads to a pet peeve of mine, something like one of those misdeeds. A crucial clue just appears out of thin air. Total coincidence. It happens, but the twist should at least be connected to something that the characters know or do within the logical progression of the story.

Finally, I think a well-conceived twist will have its roots at the beginning of the story. Then when it does surface, a reader gets an extra aha! because it’s been there all along.

Have you enjoyed a good twisted mystery? One where you really didn’t see something coming and then wham? Tell me about it! Share your experience in the comments. One lucky commenter will win a $10 Amazon gift card and a super-sleuth, lighted magnifying glass.

25 comments:

  1. You know, I have read so many like that it’s hard to remember which ones they are. But, one of the recent ones was “Missing Three Days” by Colleen Coble. I never expected the ending to that book.
    duellonlysis(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning, yes, I read The Patient by Steena Holmes and it was a really good one, it had so many twists and turns, it really kept me guessing, it is a Great page turner. Have a Great day and stay safe. aliciabhaney(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points that I'll have to keep in mind as I write!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, but can't think of any
    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hank Phillippi Ryan's book 'The First To Lie' immediately came to mind. There are so many twists and turns and Ah Ha's in the book. I could not stop reading because it kept me in full suspense all the way through.

    msredk at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High praise for that book! Thanks so much for sharing!

      Delete
    2. Congratulations, Cindi! You are my winner! You'll hear from me soon!

      Delete
  6. I read so many--can't think of one right now!! chendryx(at)nctv(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Patrica Bradley's Justice betraryed book, I didn't see that person as the villian until the end

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan Sleeman has written some amazing stories with twists and turns. I also enjoy the way she organically inserts interesting tidbits about crime solving.

    whthomas13 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. I've had a couple of her books on my to-read list for a while. I need to grab one and immerse myself in it!

      Delete
  9. All of the twists and turns make a good mystery great. Love the genre.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, but there are too many and I can't think of any at the moment.
    dianah7272@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mystery/suspense is my favorite genre! Love the tension and plot twists.
    psalm103and138atgmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just LOVE a good mystery/suspense book that has lots of twists and keeps me on the edge of my seat, furiously turning pages until the very end! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially the ones that I'll stay up until the wee hours to finish! Half the time, I'm sure I won't be able to breathe if I try to put the book down!

      Delete