Featured Post

Thursday, April 22, 2021

Keeping the Faith


 Characters are like friends. You love each one for a different reason. There are some characters who emerge as favorites for whatever reason. Isabel Connor in Hidden Away is one of those characters. This a suspense book, so the focus is on the action and the danger. However, as the story unfolded, I found myself admiring Isabel. There is an element of surprise in writing that I don't know quite how to explain. I create a character. I know her background and her motives and yet she does and say things that I had not planned but that fit so perfectly. 

Isabel is a woman who has only recently gotten her life together. As a teenager, she was in the wrong place at the wrong time and she fell in love with the wrong guy. All those choices let to her doing jail time for being the getaway driver in robbery. She has since found a relationship with God and has a job opening up and stocking vacation homes near a ski resort for clients. Her life is back on track. She is making better choices. 

But once again and this time not because of her poor choices, she ends up being caught up in a crime and at one point the lawman even suspects her of being involved. Call it bad luck, call it misfortune, call it God's timing. But she fears that all that she has worked to build will be ripped away from her. This is what made me like Isabel. Even with all the bad things that happen and the possibility of everything she has worked for being taken from her and the guilt over her past choices, her default position is to turn to God. They are just little moments in the book, again totally not planned by me, that reveal a woman of deep faith. 

Most people haven't been in trouble with the law, but all of us have had one time or another decided to clean up some aspect of our lives. It could be with finances, or losing weight or toxic relationships or just deciding to keep your house cleaner, or read more, or not be reactive to certain situations. We might be making huge progress. And then a setback happens that was not our doing. You may have been working on losing weight and working out and end up injured. You may have paid down your credit card debt, only to be hit with medical crisis that puts you right back in debt. Always when that happens we have a choice. To throw up our hands and say "see, I told you I couldn't fix that part of my life"  or to persist through the darkness and the set back, to point our feet in the right direction and to give it all over to God. I don't want to minimize setbacks and loss, part of the process of choosing hope and trusting God is going through a season despair and grief. But never to give up hope. 

I would love to hear about one of your favorite characters from a book you have read or tell me about a time when you realized you were at a crossroads after a setback. Leave your name and email address in the comments. I will be giving away copies of Hidden Away so you can meet Isabel too. 

14 comments:

  1. Most recently my favorite character has been Garth in No Journey to Far by Carrie Turansky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael Hosea in Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. He had choices to make and chose God’s way over his own. I’m at a point in my life where someone I love is making some harmful choices...harmful to himself and relationships. Only by God’s Grace am I able to get through each day of this journey.
    Sandy
    Nonnie2kk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Redeeming Love is one of my favorite books. such great characters. They are making it into a movie. So sorry to hear about having to see someone make destructive choices. it is only by God's grace for sure

      Delete
  3. Mr. Darcy

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Sharon. And wonderful advice. Faith and persistence is so important. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Nancy Mehl's character, Kaely Quinn, with all her quirks. I also vividly remember all of the characters from Dee Henderson's The O'Malley's series. I think those were the first books that led to me reading only Christian fiction or cozy mysteries.
    clhutson1016(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read some of the O'Malley books. very good suspense and great characters

      Delete
  6. I loved the two mail leads in Laura Franz's newest book Tidewater Bride (but it's been a month since I read it and now can't remember their names!!). Connie Hendryx hendryx.connie(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ann Silver in "Full Disclosure" by Dee Henderson Badawson16 at aol dot com (Thanks for a Giveaway!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jack Reacher is a favorite character right now.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jake Silver in "The Heart of a Hero" by Susan May Warren

    djsatko2014@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to everyone who left comments. it gives me some ideas of what book to read next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your heroine sounds so interesting! Wishing you the best on the launch!

    ReplyDelete