Featured Post

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

What Does Retirement Mean to You?

 by Patricia Bradley


Retirement. It's a ten-letter word that means different things to different people. To me, it meant I had more time to write. Since 2013, I've written more than a million words.

I’ve had more friends than I can count on one hand ask me when I was going to slow down and enjoy my retirement. After all, who wants to spend their golden years sitting at a computer, pounding out stories?

Me! Waving my hand like a kid wanting the teacher to call on her. I try to explain that I’m living my dream and why would I give that up? I mean, writing stories is something I can do as long as the stories keep coming.

Another thing I like to do is teach classes on writing. Just this month I’ll be teaching a four-hour class at the virtual MidSouth Christian Writers Conference on brainstorming your character’s journey.

And this is where I need your help. I want to create a character journey for a hero and a heroine for romantic suspense, and then I thought I'd do a hero and a villain. 

What I need is a hero and heroine that almost everyone will recognize. I want the attendee to be able to 'see' the character and how lies they believe affect them. I want to look at what's wounded them in life and caused their flaws...what lies they believe about themselves, what they fear the most. Same thing for the hero and villain.

If you'll suggest characters that will fit the criteria, I'll enter you in a drawing for a $10 gift card. And if you'd rather, tell me when you plan to retire or if you already are? And when you do retire, what will you do? Or if retired, what are you doing? (But I'd really rather know the characters you would suggest.) lol


12 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, I have no idea about the characters. Lol. But I'm a 40 year old homeschooling mama of three. My oldest is almost 19 and getting married this summer.My middle daughter is 16 and will be a Senior next year. And I get to retire in 3 years when my youngest daughter graduates high school!! I cannot wait! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for you, Melissa! And congratulations for persevering through homeschooling three children!

      Delete
  2. Characters...heroes - they are genuine, real, and transparent. When they make a mistake or hurt someone or think they did by something said or done unintentionally they care and want to make it right. Villains deceive and manipulate people with their words and actions. Villains are slimy in intent, but in looks they look and sound trustworthy. Retirement? I would spend my time making and selling my art; I would also find new ways in which to volunteer more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks on the characters, Susan B! Before I went to writing full time, I made pottery and volunteered some...now, my days are filled with words. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. hero and heroine- doctor and pharmacist

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. heroine has to be independent,strongwilled but have her weak moments for the hero to come save her/help her. Hero has to be strong ,brave/rugged, handsome and have a tender spot for the heroine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe the Heroine in the story is strong, independent and smart from the ups and downs that she is lived in her life. She doesn't need saving but needs a partner to support her in her endeavors throughout life. I believe that relationships should be made from friendship first and you share the burdens equally.

    The bad guys are con artists, very charming to hide their intentions, they smooth way and the evil that is coming, hardly ever letting their schemes slip out until the very end. Most everyone likes them until the damage is done.

    I hope this helps some.

    Msredk at aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll travel :) and travel (to all those places I've read about).
    Strong loyal character with a touch of vulnerability ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hero/heroines ought to have character and vulnerabilities. Retirement should be a time of enjoying life after working so hard most of your life.

    psalm103and138atgmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete