Featured Post

Friday, September 21, 2018

Book Review ~ Web of Secrets by Susan Sleeman

By Patricia Bradley

This past week I read Web of Secrets a gripping story by Susan Sleeman. It's from her Agents Under Fire series and was released back in 2016, but for some reason I missed it. I'm giving away a $10 Amazon gift card. All you have to do is leave a comment!

Here's the back cover copy:

A nightmare come true . . .

Years ago, a fifteen-year-old girl was abducted by a monster. Although she managed to escape, her tormenter was never caught. So the girl was given a new home, a new name . . . and the determination to save other foster kids from suffering similar horrors.

FBI Agent Becca Lange is in the middle of a credit card fraud investigation when she's faced with her worst nightmare: a serial killer, van Gogh--given the name because he removed his victims' ears--has resurfaced. Back in the nineties, van Gogh tortured, then killed several young foster girls. Becca was almost one of them.

Over the years, Becca's been keeping her own investigation going. So when the police come to her for help, she's more than ready to do what it takes to put van Gogh behind bars--even if it means working with Connor Warren, the easy-going cop whose attentions she's been avoiding. Connor is too charming, too good-looking, too . . . tempting. He makes Becca want things she can never have. And might never have . . .

Because van Gogh isn't finished with Becca yet. He's been searching for her all these years. And now that he's found her, he's got a plan to keep her . . . forever.

"An absolutely incredible romantic suspense novel!"--TheSuspenseZone.com

"Web of Shadows is another winner from Sleeman. Highly recommended!"--Edits and Reviews by Leslie

My Take:
Wow! This story was intense. Susan did a great job with all the technical stuff like how to identify remains and tell age, gender, and race without it sounding teacherly. She also kept raising the stakes with van Goh getting closer and closer.

The story between Becca and Conner was gripping as well. Both were wounded in their pasts and were not looking for a relationship, but sometimes things like that are out of our hands. The two were opposites and the conflict that caused kept the reader engaged. And Conner definitely was swoon worthy!

Susan did a great job of writing about foster children. I loved the way Becca tried to help these children. She'd been a foster child herself so she knew what they needed.  

If you missed this book when it first released like I did, do yourself a favor and check it out! And then check out the other books in the Agents Under Fire series. I am! Her books are available on her website.


Susan Sleeman is a best-selling author of clean read and inspirational romantic suspense books. Awards include the 2013 Romantic Times Reviewers Choice Best Book Award. In addition to writing, Susan also hosts the popular website TheSuspenseZone.com. She currently lives in Oregon with her husband. They have two daughters, a son-in-law, and an adorable grandson. To learn more about Susan stop by any of these locations on the web.


You can connect with Susan at:
Susansleeman.com; 
Facebook.com/SusanSleemanBooks;
Twitter.com/SusanSleeman

And don't forget to leave a comment to be entered in a drawing for a $10 Amazon gift card.

36 comments:

  1. Wow. Sounds like a good one. I like intense suspense so this one’s going on the TBR list. Thank you for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really enjoy it, Anne. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a good read. I definitely want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed this book also. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in this great review.
    Blessings!
    Connie
    cps1950(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have it on my to be read list. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will definitely enjoy it, Robin! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing, Patricia. That was so very sweet of you and I am so happy you enjoyed this book. Becca and Connor are still two of my favorite characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely loved this book, Susan. It was so gripping and I couldn't put it down until the end. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  6. I enjoy reading books by this author and this particular one sounds like a great one. Have to add it to my TBR pile.
    tumcsec(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like all of Susan's books! Especially her cozy mysteries...well, not especially because I really like her romantic suspense books! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a good one!
    allofakindmom at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooooooooooooooh! This sounds so good! It sounds like it missed the first time! Can't wait to read it!
    duellonlysis(at(aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good, Megsmom! You will really enjoy it. Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  9. I love Susan Sleeman’s books. This one sounds so good. Thanks for the review and giveaway.
    mindyhoung AT msn dOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, It's a great book and whoever wins can get it and another of Susan's books with the gift card! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. I just recently discovered Susan's books and thud is one that I've not read. Thank you for the review.
    lhanberry1 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan is a great writer, Linda. You'll have to get this one! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. A great review thank you. "Intense" can be exciting to read.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this one is intense, Mary. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  12. I think I have read some of this series. This one looks great, count me in please!
    paulams49ATsbcglobalDOTnet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great book, Paula, one I think you will really like. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

      Delete
  13. I don't recall reading this book--I'm going to put it on my TBR list, but I don't plan on starting it just before bed time! :) badawson16 at AOL dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb D that is probably a good idea...just before bedtime is the only time I have to read and this one kept me up way past 1 am. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  14. You are welcome, Amanda. I have The Feathered Bone on my TBR table, but I'm waiting for a time when I'm not under a tight deadline and can handle the intensity. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't really look forward to winter coming but the one good thing about long days and evenings spent inside is getting to some of these books on my tbr list. I've been adding them all summer long and am looking forward to sitting and reading! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one good thing about winter, Arletta! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  16. Okay after reading the back cover copy I MUST must read this book, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Lourdes! And Susan won the ACFW Carol award for romantic suspense last Saturday night!

      Delete
  17. Web of Secrets sounds like a good read. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review, Pat! Thank you for sharing Web of Secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Friday I'll draw a winner for the $10 Amazon gift card.

    ReplyDelete
  20. And the winner is Linda lhanberry1 at gmail dot com!

    ReplyDelete