Featured Post

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

What IS it about cowboys?





I am knee deep in cowboy boots, saddles, horses and Stetsons. I don’t know how this happened, but somehow as I’m busily completing a four book cowboy suspense series, I got a yen to write another. So what is the appeal, anyway? Why have generations of readers and movie goers fallen in love with cowboys? I’ve come up with three main reason. See if you agree or disagree. Comments get you entered to win a Kindle or Nook copy of Cowboy Christmas Guardian.

1. Cowboys stand for justice. Yep, John Wayne wasn’t going to mess around worrying about what was politically correct or not, or whom he might offend. He acted on what he knew deep down to be right or wrong, his internal moral compass. Don’t you just find that kind of moral certainty appealing?

2.  Cowboys work close to the land. Okay, I’ll admit that I can’t even grow a proper tomato, so the idea that someone would partner with a 2,000 pound animal to work their ranch, grow their crops, raise their cattle or whatever, is a mind blower to me. It hearkens back to a time when people had real life practical skills (of which, sadly, I have none!)

3. Cowboys are God loving champions of their families. I know, this is a romantic view, but golly, it’s attractive, isn’t it? That cowboy in chapter one isn’t going to let anyone or anything hurt his kin, his wife, his town and he doesn’t care what rules he has to break to protect what’s worth loving. Ah me. Who wouldn’t love a hero like that?

So what do you think? Agree? Disagree? Want to add anything to the list? Gallop on in and add your comment. I’ll pick a winner soon.

https://www.amazon.com/Cowboy-Christmas-Guardian-Country-Cowboys/dp/037345743X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511883835&sr=8-1&keywords=Cowboy+christmas+guardian 

9 comments:

  1. Goid miening Dana. I am thrilled that you are writing this series and I agree with your reasons that we love cowboys but I would add tradition. I personally love them because my Daddy loved them so much and it was a family ritual to watch westerns on TV after we had eaten our supper. Now, when I see a Western movie or tv progrsm and I read a Western story I am reminded of those happy moments. Thank you for your giveaway.
    Blessings!
    Connie
    cps1950(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love westerns because as a kid I always played Cowboys and Indians...sometimes the cowboy and sometimes the Indian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, little lady, I think that just about covers it! My favorite cowboys are portrayed by John Wayne, Sam Elliott and Tom Selleck! Lots of good “morals to the story “ in their westerns. I guess that means I like Louis Lamour, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree. There’s just something about cowboys that say, “God, country and family”, which is so attractive. Wait...is that a Texan thing and not a cowboy thing? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything you said. Cowboys have manners, know right from wrong, and don't play mind games -- you know where you stand with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Lone Ranger was my favorite show when I was a kid! I loved the horses and how he and Tonto would come riding in to save the day and help anyone who needed it,

    jennydtipton at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cowboy sounds good to me! Too bad they aren't all like that in the world but they are in Christian books! jarning67(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading about cowboys. I also grew up watching john Wayne and Roy Rogers and others. fishingjanATaolDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree! I love reading all of the books about cowboys and their good deeds! Thanks for this giveaway. d[dot]brookmyer[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete