Featured Post

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

What Would You Choose?

Kay and I like to watch reruns of the sitcom, "Frasier." I was recently reminded of the episode in which Frasier and Niles are discussing the question of what they'd choose if stranded on a desert island: one meal, one bottle of wine, one aria. Incidentally, I'd probably ask for the Mexican plate lunch from El Fenix, iced tea, and something from Josh Grobin. Nevertheless, the question made me think.

When I had my disc surgery several years ago, I had a period of enforced inactivity (i.e., no golf) during my convalescence, so I read. I did the same during my first wife's time in the ICU after her fatal stroke. At that time, I read through all of the books by Robert B. Parker. I love his writing style, and for a few minutes I was able to leave behind the problems surrounding me. For years, I've found that many of the novels from authors whose work I enjoyed the first time around still hold my attention on second and third readings. They've become favorites.

This brings me to the point of this post. If you were to be given unlimited time to read while recuperating from surgery, recovering from an illness, whatever--what books would you choose? And let's assume that The Bible would be one. Go beyond that and tell me the books you'd choose for comfort, relaxation, and to pass the time. I look forward to seeing your choices in the comments.

Tweet with a single click: "What books would you choose for your time on a desert island?" Click here to tweet. 



3 comments:

  1. BOOKS ON A DESERTED ISLAND WOULD INCLUDE STRESS TEST, HEART FAILURE, POLITICAL SUICIDE, CRITICAL CARE, AND ABDUCTION.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg, you're kind to include three of my books, plus one by my friend, the late Dr. Michael Palmer. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Count of Monte Cristo, the Three Musketeers series, The Lord of the Rings, Francine Rivers( Mark of the Lion series) or Frank Peretti ( the Darkness series.

    Sonnetta_jones(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete