Featured Post

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Ice Skating on the Beach? The Perks of Being a Fiction Writer




It's a thrill to live in this wild and wacky world of fiction writing! Most of the time, people don't believe me when I tell them I've written thirty books or more. I think it's because I'm also a third grade teacher and they just can reconcile the two. "What's the best thing about writing fiction?" they ask. Easy. Research trips! There is fodder for books everywhere, of course, but the coolest thing is when you can travel to a neato locale and then make it come to life in a book. That's why I'm particularly excited about my November release, Dangerous Tidings. I went to Coronado Island in Southern California to do some sleuthing. Since the story takes place at Christmas time I was SUPER thrilled to take pictures of the outdoor ice rink at the historic Hotel Del which is right ON THE BEACH! Wacky, huh? The lovely Del, which features prominently in my book, was also the spot where L.Frank Baum used to stay and write some of his Oz stories. This was extremely cool for a Oz fan like myself.




So if you could travel to any spot you've read about in a book or seen in a movie, where would you go? I'm giving away a copy of Dangerous Tidings to one commenter! 

4 comments:

  1. Dana, don't know how a third-grade teacher can travel so much for research. Where would I go? Back to Germany, to the little hotel in the Black Forest where the head waiter spoke flawless English to Kay, but insisted that I speak nothing but German. Oh, and where I learned that men weren't the only ones who said, "I know a short cut," then got us lost. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are sweet memories from Germany, Richard! I've never traveled outside the U.S. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would want to travel to Maine. I would love to visit a coastal town in Maine and spend time with the people who live and work there. And it would be a dream come true to get to go out on a boat with fisherman to get to see first hand how they collect the fish they catch. Then I'd like to enjoy fresh ocean fish in a local resturant there, followed by curling up with a good book in front of a crackling fireplace in my room. It's a dream, but you never know, it might come true! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to go to Maine, too, Annie. Seafood dinner...here I come!

    ReplyDelete