Featured Post

Thursday, April 11, 2024

The Scariest Part of Suspense - Villains and Why We Love Them!

 


Okay, I confess, I love reading about villains who keep me up at night and stay with me long after I’ve finished the book.

In suspense, the villain is every bit as important as the hero and heroine. We need a bad guy to create conflict and set the story into motion. Villains unite the main characters in a single cause. Defeating the bad guy.   



Have you ever read a villain that’s just a level above normal bad guys? One that really gives you the creeps. There have been many villains who have accomplished this for me. One that comes to mind is the villain from Linda Castillo’s, Sworn to Silence. This is the first book in the Kate Burkholder series. If you haven’t read the book, it’s good, but it is hard to read.



Villains come in all different forms. Some are the person most trusted by the protagonists like the killer from Don’t Close Your Eyes, book one of my Hallowed Halls series. Angel was someone close to the FBI team searching for him and it came as a complete surprise when his true relationship to Megan was revealed.

Other villains are strangers with motives that range from revenge, to covering up another crime, to someone seeking financial gain such as a drug smuggler or a trafficker in stolen goods or human lives.



In my upcoming Love Inspired Suspense, Ambush in the Mountains, the villain is a human trafficker. The heroine has escaped, and he wants her back. He will stop at nothing to accomplish that.

But some villains have far more twisted motives. Such as Embalmer, the serial killer in my upcoming book, The Last To Know. 



So, what’s your favorite type of villain? Is there one you think is overdone, or maybe just too creepy.

I’ll be giving away a copy of my upcoming release, THE LAST TO KNOW, to someone who comments. Be sure to leave your email address. I’ll announce the winner in a few days!

Here’s a little about THE LAST TO KNOW:

An FBI agent with a dark secret.

A killer on a mission.

A murderous past that unearths an unexpected connection.

BAU Special Agent Hannah London’s troubled past reminds her that life is fragile. And hers has an expiration date that can’t be denied.

When the bottom drops out of Hannah’s world, and a killer ramps up his victim count, Hannah and fellow agent, Cooper Delaney are in a race against time to catch the killer. A bombshell revelation has Hannah and Cooper reeling after the killer’s cryptic messages seem to hint at a connection. . .to Hannah.

As Hannah’s feelings for Cooper deepen, her head tells her to end things before Cooper gets hurt. But her heart, the one that threatens to betray her, doesn’t want to walk away.

PREORDER IT HERE

 

35 comments:

  1. I don’t like my villains so creepy and scary that I can’t read alone at night. I want them to be believably evil but with some heart and redeemable quality that helps me relate to them somehow. I really like your villains because they seem real without being super scary. watts.vickie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. no fav
    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like complex villains. Something in them that draws me and makes me hope they can be redeemed, even though know they won't be. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duell-Moore BeverlyApril 12, 2024 at 3:20 PM

    I’ve never really thought about villains before. I do like them to keep me on the edge of my seat though.
    duellonlysis at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. A couple creepy villains that come to mind are Ted Dekker’s and Jessica Sly’s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a really interesting book. Thank you for sharing.
    dianah7272 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angel was fascinating, Mary! I enjoy villains who are so sly & crafty I can't figure out who they are. You & Nancy Mehl have some clever ones! And creepy! THE LAST TO KNOW is on my wishlist. Thanks for the giveaway opportunity!

    dianalflowers at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always hoping the villan gets saved. marybears2004@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The villains I prefer are the ones I least expected. I now question all of the good guys. I am always surprised anyways! I would love to win this book because it sounds quite appealing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Charlotte! I love those unexpected villains.

      Delete
  10. I forgot to leave email address it is: char loves mark at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not have a favorite villain.

    Nancy
    allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cannot say that I have a favorite villain. It would be someone who is so normal that you would not suspect them of being a villain. dpruss@prodigy.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those as well, Debra. They come as a complete surprise.

      Delete
  13. Your books all are intriguing!! I enjoy creepy and sinister villain (only on books or movies), hence my favorite is Darth Vader.. In my opinion, the worst kind of villain is the one who is very close to you, and will turn on you without you knowing that it's coming!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite thing about villains is their arrogance, especially in faith-based books. It's like watching the foolishness of satan being defeated again and again by the power of God. The most frightening thing about them is their commitment to evil -- something it appears that the evil doers are more intentional in their beliefs than our protagonists are at the beginning. They have to be defeated by someone that believes that the power of the word of God, His love, the Name and Blood of Jesus, and the authority of the believer never fails. That's what I look for when I read your books. Thank you for not disappointing us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that, Lonzine! Well said. And thank you! That means a lot!

      Delete
  15. Sorry, I forgot to put my email : cwkuen(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like villains that keep the suspense level high while I'm reading, but don't keep me from getting to sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete
  17. C.C. Warrens' Collin in the Holly books is a villain that stuck with me. CREEPY!

    I don't like them too creepy, but I always love it when they get justice served to them!

    Heather Mitchell crhbmitchellfam at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Collin in the Holly books was awful! I think the only villain who tops him is the one in Stephen James' Patrick Bowers series.

    Loved Don't Close Your Eyes, and can't wait for The Last to Know! Congratulations on all your new releases!
    carrottopfromtexas2@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can't wait to read The last To Know Congratulations on all your New Releases Sarahbaby601973(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like when the villain has a twisted storyline and it ends being somehow connected to one of the main characters in the book. It's fun trying to figure out how, I don't want it to be obvious either.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love suspenseful books!! chendryx (at) nctv (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just watched Dark Winds, based on the Tony Hillerman Joe Leaphorn novels. The villains in these were people trying to improve the lives of native Americans, they just got lost along the way. That is the villains that I like to read about. My e-mail is aznelson@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love villains who constantly change or they adapt to become a better person. Most times villains are represented as people who were failed by the world and turned wicked in turn shows how cruel the world can be and how it can have an effect on the human psyche..

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like it when the villain is someone who you would never suspect!

    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I enjoyed reading this post! Can't wait to read all these books!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love suspense novels and it's important to have villain's well defined in a novel for it to work. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete