Featured Post

Thursday, December 9, 2021

CHRISTMAS AND CHANGE

Life is full of transformation. Christmas is one of the things that changes down through the years. I remember Christmas when my parents were together. It was special…magical. I also recall Christmas after their divorce. It was different, but my brother and I found a way to enjoy the holiday even though someone was always missing.  

After I was married and had my own child, Christmas took on new meaning. This time we were the ones who set the traditions. I loved every part of it. Getting up early, watching my son open his gifts, preparing Christmas dinner, and reading the real Christmas story.

But years later things changed again. My son isn’t here on Christmas morning. He is with his wife and our grandsons. Now I get to watch them open their gifts and my daughter-in-law cooks our Christmas dinner. It’s different – but it’s still wonderful.

No matter what changes when it comes to Christmas, it can still bring happiness – as long as we’re willing to adjust our attitudes. Change can be a good thing. But it depends on us.

I pray you have a blessed and joy-filled Christmas.

Nancy Mehl

6 comments:

  1. Christmas was so much simpler when I was younger. They all us kids started to married and it changed. It changed again when I divorced. My daughter and I made our own memories that we still do today. It changed when we lost my parents and some of my brothers. It also changed again with the COVID restrictions. And, it hasn’t yet gone back to what it was. So many chances for just one day. But, the important thing is that Jesus is celebrated no matter what the changes are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to what Megsmom said! We should always remember why we celebrate Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Through the ages, our Christmas' have taken on many changes. Through it all, it's wonderful to know that one thing never changes - the reason for the season. As for the rest, we adapt and will continue to celebrate. It's now just hubby and I with everyone else (including our daughter) celebrating Christmas in heaven - what a glorious celebration that has to be. We will enjoy the day, being together and be happy for whatever the holidays bring us.
    2clowns at arkansas dot net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying to stay focused on the meaning of Christmas and not the fact that my parents aren’t here to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas! Make new traditions when you can

    ReplyDelete