Featured Post

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Camaraderie in a solitary life...and a free book drawing

There's an old joke that frequently surfaces at the big national writers' conferences such as RWA (Romance Writers of America)--where the writer attendees are "several thousand introverts trying to be extroverts for the entire conference."

Not all writers are introverts, of course, but writing is still a solitary existence.  Days, weeks, months at a keyboard.  While some writers can be productive with the sounds of children, music, and a TV in the background, others (like me!) need absolute silence or we are completely distracted. I started writing when our children were thirteen, eleven and four, so you can well imagine that things weren't ever very quiet at our house.  Eventually, after I was published, I would occasionally check into the Microtel hotel in town for a weekend of silence and concentration when a tight deadline was looming, and leave my husband to fend for himself with the kids.   :)

The kids are all grown and married now, the house is quieter, and I no longer go to the Microtel.  But the writing process is still solitary, so when I occasionally participate in a multi-author project, it's fun to enjoy that interaction with other writers.  Every year, for instance, a group of authors participates in the Sweet Christmas Kisses anthology---each writing her own, unrelated story with a Christmas theme.  Some of the stories are chaste sweet romance, some are inspirational, all are very different. This anthology is only in ebook form, which allows us unlimited pages.  A good thing, as it would be well over a thousand pages if in print!

There's been a wonderful surge in these e-book anthologies over the last four years or so--in all genres, with various holiday themes or even no seasonal connection at all.  They are often very inexpensive--often just 99 cents--and can be a wonderful opportunity for a reader to discover authors who will become favorites.  I have "discovered" some authors I enjoyed so much that I went on to purchase a lot of books in their backlist!

Have you ever purchased an anthology?  What did you think?  Did you find any new-to-you authors  you really enjoyed?

Everyone leaving a comment will be entered in a drawing for a free e-copy of  the 2017 Sweet Christmas Kisses 4 anthology.

Best wishes to you all, and good luck!

Roxanne Rustand


20 comments:

  1. I love anthologies! It gives me a chance to try out new authors...like Sweet Christmas Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too, Patricia! Thanks for leaving a comment!

      Delete
  2. This is my fourth attempt at leaving a comment. Had to go to my computer as I couldn't leave one from my phone.

    I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post, and I understand why you're a successful writer. Your post was entertaining, interesting, humorous, and informative. Thank you for sharing. Your books are now on my TBR list. And, just for the record, you're living my dream...as so many others are. GOD bless! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting about the trouble leaving a comment via your phone. I've never tried, but I'll bet it wouldn't work for me, either.

      Thanks so much for your kind words! Do you enjoy writing, and would you like to be published? If so, best wishes for great success in the future!

      Roxanne

      Delete
  3. Oh...and, yes! I have several anthologies (older ones). They're great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went right away and found it on Amazon! Here's the link: http://amzn.to/2m3JJhY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did find it! I always think these types of anthologies are an incredible bargain, and a lot of fun to read. Thank you for posting the link. I should have done that at the end of my post but forgot. :)

      Delete
  5. I have a couple in my e-collection. It's a great way to be introduced to different authors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of writers unfamiliar to me. Would like to read these. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you ever purchased an anthology? yes. What did you think? They're wonderful! Did you find any new-to-you authors you really enjoyed? yes. I am looking forward to reading Sweet Christmas Kisses 4 anthology.Thank you for the opportunity to win.

    Thank you for the opportunity to win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting on the blog post. Good luck the drawing!

      Delete
  8. I have purchased anthologies. It has helped me to find out about new authors. I enjoyed this post. Have a blessed day. fishingjanATaolDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them! One of my favorites, four authors picked a character each and wrote a continuous story. Smitten by Coble, Hunt, Billerbeck, and Hunter. That was fun.
    Gail Hollingsworth
    tumcsec(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just purchased Making Spirits Bright and it has 4 novellas. I am looking forward to reading them. I know that I will also enjoy your anthology. Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings!
    Connie
    cps1950(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love anthologies; I’ve found quite a few wonderful authors through them. Thanks for the giveaway!
    mindyhoungATmsnDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have purchased three anthologies in the past 6 months and they were all suspense. paulams49ATsbcglobalDOTnet

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have enjoyed a few of these in the past and have found some new to authors that I've gone on to read more of their books.

    ReplyDelete