Featured Post

Thursday, March 21, 2024

A STORY'S JOURNEY

I'm taking a break from reading the last edit for Deadly Revenge before it goes to galleys. Have you ever wondered at the process a book goes through? I thought I'd share about that with you today using Deadly Revenge.

First, the book had to be proposed. Since this is book three, I only had to write a short paragraph. Here's what I proposed: 

Book 3:
It will feature Allison Quinn and a TBI agent assigned to a woman who is running for governor. The candidate is making a campaign stop in Russell County and Pearl Springs is chosen to host a campaign stop. Allison discovers a plot to assassinate her. She crosses swords with the TBI agent as well as the candidate.

As I read that, I have to chuckle. The only part of the proposal that is anywhere near what Deadly Revenge is about is the TBI agent. Here's the catalog copy:
 
Deputy Jenna Hart has only been working in her sleepy hometown of Pearl Springs for seven months when city officials begin to be targeted by a killer. Twenty years ago, the construction of a dam caused people to lose their land to eminent domain. That wound has not healed with time, and someone bearing a grudge is clearly set on revenge. With the former mayor of Pearl Springs now running for the US Senate, Jenna will have to call in backup to ensure his protection.

That’s where Agent Maxwell Anderson comes in. He and Jenna used to work together in the Chattanooga Police Department, and there was even a smoldering fire of attraction. Now they team up to track down the killer before a big political rally that promises not only to bring the former mayor into the crosshairs but hundreds of civilians as well.

As the sparks of romance reignite and the threads of the investigation get tangled when another suspect comes into play, Jenna and Max will have to draw on all of their skills to stay alive and prevent the wave of disaster poised to hit the community of Pearl Springs. The question is, can either of them fully trust that the other has their back?

After the book is written, it goes to my acquisition editor. She will read it and send it back with the changes she wants made. I usually have a couple of weeks to make the changes and get it back to her. 

Once that's done, I have a few weeks of breathing room, maybe even a month or two. During this time, I also get a preview of the cover, and I love the cover of Deadly Revenge!

Then the BIG edit will arrive in my inbox. I usually have two to three weeks to make the changes on this edit. This editor keeps track of the timeline, plot holes, and the places I'm not consistent. She also notes when I change the color of my character's eyes. :-) (I affectionately call her the Plausibility Police--it has to be plausible or she will catch it!)

Once I make the changes and send it to her, off the manuscript goes to a proofreader who doesn't just check for typos and misspelled words, but contradictions in it. When I get it back this time, I make the changes and then let Word read it back to me. That way I can catch the words I've left out, the rhythm, and any clunky structure. Not that I ever catch all of the typos, etc. My brain sees what I thought I wrote. Up until this point, any changes aren't too costly for the publisher. 

That's where I am now. Once I send it to my editor, it will go to the printer, and before it's actually set in stone, I'll get one more chance to make changes. By this time it's been a couple of months, and when I read it again, I catch more typos and left out words. At this point, each change I make costs more for the publisher to make, so I have to have a good reason to make the changes. 

A few months later a box of books arrives at my house, and when I open it, the thrill of seeing a story I created has me practically jumping for joy--it never gets old. 

And that is the process my books go through to get to you, the readers. Deadly Revenge will release November 5, 2024!

Here's the cover of Deadly Revenge:






44 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Wes! Great to see you here.

      Delete
    2. Have no idea why I was listed as anonymous. lol

      Delete
  2. I knew it was a process but didn’t realize to that extent lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was an interesting read, Pat!
    Barbara Diggs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! It's a process. lol

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a really interesting book. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! I'm not sure why I showed up anonymous in the other comments!

      Delete
  5. "Deadly Revenge" is on my TBR list and I can't wait for the opportunity to read and review it.

    Thank you for guiding us through the process of how the book finally makes the shelves. I can imagine it's both exciting and nerve racking. But with all things, the end result has to make it all worth while.
    2clowns at arkansas dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is both exciting and nerve racking, not to mention the hardest work I've ever done. :-)

      Delete
  6. It's always good to take a break from reading to build up the want to read phase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to enjoying the fruits of your labor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never realized how many different editors would see a book before it's published! It's interesting to see how many different people it takes to get a book to us readers ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And you would think there would be no typos or words skipped, but somehow every book as a couple!

      Delete
  9. Wow! Your book sounds great and I love your book cover! have a great weekend. Alicia Haney aliciabhaney(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so fascinating to read how a book is published! I can imagine how exciting it is to receive the book when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fascinating, Donna. And very exciting to open that box and see your book!

      Delete
  11. There's a lot more to it than we realize. Excited for the book coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love the Deadly Revenge cover! November seems such a long way off. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, considering my next book is due November, it's closer that I think...

      Delete
  13. My friend just started working as a proofreader/editor. I had no idea what the process entailed! I am so thankful for all the work behind the scenes, though, because I have loved all of your books that I have read so far, Patricia! Thanks for sharing the process with us! ~Heather Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. I'm glad you enjoyed the peek behind the scenes!

      Delete
  14. I love the premise of this book. It sounds so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooohhh! Sounds like another winner! Love your books! :) I can't imagine all the proofreading you have to do. I have a hard enough time proofing my texts and emails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time I turn a book in for the last time, I can almost quote it, L. ;-)

      Delete
  16. Thank you for sharing this. Very interesting. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds great! Connie Hendryx (chendryx (at) nctv (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing that! It was very interesting to learn the process of a book that I am sure I will enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, thank you for sharing! I love getting a behind the scenes look at how things work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea when I received my first contract what all it entailed, Laura! It's a lot of hard work but so worth it!

      Delete
  20. Very interesting! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, I'm so glad that you take such care and time with your books. It makes me wonder about other books that are just churned out with so many mistakes, how can they be missed after all of that!

    ReplyDelete