Featured Post

Friday, July 14, 2023

Ripped for the Headlines...of my own life

The Wreck

Before I get into the story, I have three sales running right now. Scroll down to get the links. 

Five years ago, on July 16, 2018, at about nine thirty at night, my cell phone rang.

We had been parents of teenagers for seven years at that point--long enough to know that any call that came in after nine was going to be bad news. I looked at the screen and saw my sister's name. Normally, that wouldn't concern me, but my youngest, Jacob, was in Utah visiting Jennifer's family and his cousin/best friend, Joshua. 

When I answered the phone, Jennifer said, "Robin, the boys have been in a terrible accident. They're being life-flighted to Salt Lake City. They're both alive. That's all I know." 

My knees hit the floor. Of course I asked her questions, despite the fact that she'd just told me she didn't know anything else. Wouldn't you? Wouldn't you want to hear somebody say, "They're going to be all right, of course. They'll be fine."

Jennifer didn't say that. She told me they were on their way to the hospital, and she'd call when she knew more. 

That began the most terrifying week of my life. 

And the most amazing. 

We learned some lessons through the experience. We learned that God is Healer and Faithful. And though He's present with us always, His light is most evident in the darkest times. We learned that prayer works, and that the prayers of the righteous avail much. 

You probably don't remember this, friend, but you might have been one of those who prayed. So many of my dear Christian author friends prayed and asked for prayers from others. If you did, thank you. You're one of the reasons this story has a happy ending.

Joshua was released from ICU after a few days, then sent home. Jacob spent a week in ICU and another few days recovering in another ward before being sent home. Though both their lives had been in danger--serious danger--both of them survived. More than that, they recovered and thrived. Today, they're strong and healthy and handsome (as you can see) and we are so grateful. 

Jake and Joshua, 2021

All of which is why I knew I had to use the experience in a story. 

I honestly didn't plan for the story to release two days after the five-year anniversary of the accident, but God planned it that way. When He shows off in amazing ways, He wants us to tell the world about it. 

A Mountain Too Steep tells the story of two teenage boys in a terrible car accident in the Utah desert. The accident part of the story is true. What Jeremy, the heroine's son, went through--that's what Jacob went through. I changed the other boy's injuries a little for the sake of the story. (And my nephew's privacy.)

The rest of it is totally fabricated. For instance, my husband wasn't murdered by a gang leader, and the boys' accident wasn't caused by a vengeful thug. 😉 

You're going to love A Mountain Too Steep. You'll get a peek into the true story of a terrible car accident--and God's amazing mercy. And you'll get to read what my early readers are saying is my best book yet.

By the way, I have sales running right now that you won't want to miss: 


Glimmer in the Darkness is free! 

Vengeance in the Mist is 99¢

Wreathed in Disgrace is 99¢

And A Mountain Too Steep is only $2.99

    

More about A MOUNTAIN TOO STEEP


A car accident that might not be an accident at all. A murderer bent on revenge. And a woman desperate to keep her family together. 

She’s already lost her soul mate. She’ll do anything to protect her children.

For the sake of her kids, Camilla Wright managed to survive after her husband's murder. When she’s awakened in the night with the news that her teenage son and nephew have been in a horrific car accident, she rushes to the hospital in a haze of shock and panic.  

The boys were supposed to be skiing in the mountains east of Salt Lake City. What were they doing so far west? More alarming, the wreck might not have been an accident at all.

While Jeremy fights for his life, Camilla is running out of time to discover who lured her son and her nephew into the desert. With each new clue, the terrifying truth becomes clearer.

Her husband’s killers are closing in…

Available now on Apple, Kobo, and Nook (hurry, it won't be there long!)


13 comments:

  1. I have this on my Kindle at the top of my TBR pile!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I forgot to say is, going through something like that is so hard, but I know it was a time of feeling like you were in the palm of God's hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duell-Moore BeverlyJuly 14, 2023 at 9:24 AM

    I have this loaded on my Kindle on my phone. Haven’t read it yet! But, I’m sure looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your books and can't wait to read A Mountain Too Steep!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your books, Robin! I'm so looking forward to reading this. I can't imagine what you and your sister went through! Praise the Lord that they both survived and are now thriving even after going through something so awful. Thank you so much for sharing. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad they are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So scarry! I've gotten a call late at night like that, and the news is never good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for addressing what many parents go through at night. And using your experience to create a novel of hope. I can't wait to read it

    ReplyDelete
  9. God is always with us. Would love to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the suspense books

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot wait to read your books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. I'll be on the lookout for this book.

    ReplyDelete