Featured Post

Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Au Revoir, Coventry

 

Meredith, NH, one inspiration for Coventry

Coventry became a little more real to me with every novel. We explored the mountains in Glimmer in the Darkness, saw more of town in Tides of Duplicity. Betrayal of Genius introduced an ice cream shop and a coffee shop--which became a central location in Lineage of Corruption. Traces of Virtue introduced the church. And the creepy house in Touch of Innocence was inherited by Aspen in Inheritance of Secrets and then purchased by Denise in Wreathed in Disgrace

Vengeance in the Mist, which released last month, was the last official Coventry Saga novel. Though most of the story took place in the Boston area, all of the Coventry characters had at least cameo roles in the story, and it was such fun to catch up with them again. They started out single and alone, many in some kind of danger, and seeking to solve mysteries or simply trying to stay alive. Seeing them again at the end of the series, most married or engaged, some with children...it's the kind of scene that make me cry happy tears. 

Also, it's a little bittersweet. 

I've been living (metaphorically, anyway) in Coventry, New Hampshire, for three years and ten books, and I love the little town I created. Surrounded by the mountains and nestled against a clear lake, Coventry is just the kind of small town where I'd like to live someday. Or at least own a vacation home. 

When I first envisioned Coventry, it was a smaller version of Meredith, a charming tourist spot on the shore of Lake Winnipesaukee (see image above). But Coventry is closer to the White Mountains, like Lincoln. 


Lincoln, NH, another inspiration town


Man, I'm going to miss that town and the people I came to love there. Sure, they're fictional, but I spent a whole lot of time with them, enough that they feel real to me. 

Although we won't be visiting Coventry again, there is one more Coventry novel--I'm calling it a bonus book because it takes place in Utah--a long, long way from New Hampshire. But the heroine is connected to Grant Wright, the hero in Courage in the Shadows. His oldest brother, Daniel, is missing and presumed dead... Obviously, that was a story that had to be written. 😉 

Now that A Mountain Too Steep is with the editor, I'm working on my fall release, which will introduce a whole new town, this one a coastal village. I can't wait for you to visit! Here's a little glimpse at one inspiration for Shadow Cove, Maine.


Camden Harbor, Maine

Check out the Coventry Saga novels and grab A Mountain Too Steep while it's on preorder--and still only $2.99. 

What fictional town would love to visit? Comment below to win a paperback copy of Vengeance in the Mist

21 comments:

  1. Will miss all these great characters who have become like a family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! But some of them will show up in later books. :)

      Delete
  2. Saying goodbye is hard-any chance a character or 2 will show up in other stories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a matter of fact, Grant Wright, the hero in Courage in the Shadows, is the brother-in-law of the heroine in my summer release. You might remember Camilla, who has two teenage kids. Her husband was killed four years earlier, and in A Mountain Too Steep, he targets Camilla and her family. Grant doesn't play a role in that story, but the rest of his brothers will be featured in my new series, the Wright Brothers of Maine, the first of which comes out in October. So Grant and Summer and perhaps other Coventry characters will have cameo roles in future books.

      Delete
  3. I loved your Coventry series and have already preordered A Mountain Too Steep. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. It is sad, but I'm getting excited about my next adventure...this one in Shadow Cove, Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy my visits to fictional small towns whether it be in your books or in those of other authors. Having lived in cities, big and small, for most of my life, I am fascinated by small town living. cherierj(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean, Cherie! I grew up in a small town, but bordered Manchester, so it had a suburban vibe, and I've lived either in the suburbs or the city ever since. I'm enamored with the idea of small-town life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your post. It's interesting reading about small town life especially when I don't live in a small town myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't either, Diana. I think I might like to...as long as the town had a few good restaurants and a grocery store. That's pretty much all I need.

      Delete
  8. I have loved all the Coventry books! The setting and its people have been fantastic, although Shadow Cove looks like it will be great too! I love small towns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I'm looking forward to getting to know Shadow Cove better.

      Delete
  9. I love this author’s books!
    Janice M.
    PjrcmooreATwindstreamDOTnet

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never been to New Hampshire. I would love to visit Coventry! I realize it’s fictional, but I really did feel like I knew the characters!
    joanienov@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Hampshire is beautiful and unique in so many ways. You'd love it.

      Delete
  11. This has been a great set of books

    ReplyDelete
  12. can't think of any
    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me... This sounds weird, but I'd love to visit Hogwarts. I mean, as long as they're fictional places, why not? 😉

      Delete
  13. Congratulations Cherie J, winner of a paperback copy of Vengeance in the Mist. Cherie, I'll be emailing you!

    ReplyDelete