Featured Post

Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Thankful

I started this entry talking about all the stress in my life, on a personal and national level. I deleted it. No one needs to be reminded of what is going on for us as a country and the list of personal stresses in my life are probably no greater or no less than the ones in yours. To itemize the causes for anxiety seems to run counterintuitive to the practice of gratitude. What I need to be specific about is the reason why I am so thankful today, right now here in November 2020. 

It is easy to thank God for good health and a roof over my head blah blah blah. All that is very generic. Real gratitude for me begins when I can examine my day and think through the very specific things that have reminded me of God's love, tender care and provision. When I first started this practice of gratitude I tried to walk through my day with greater awareness. I noticed a look on my son's face that communicated connection and the way the snow looked like it had diamonds in it. Taking the clothes out of the dryer and having my arms be filled with warmth brought me joy. Colors were brighter and laughter touched my heart more deeply when I was deliberate about asking God to help me see all his gifts. 

So today let me name just a few things that I am grateful for: 

the warmth of the sun on my skin

the full moon at night

my dog resting his chin in my knee and looking up at me with the eyes of love

the mouth watering creamy goodness of Mexican casserole 

my adult son asking for advice about his future

How about you? What are you grateful for? Leave a comment with you email address, I'll pick three winners to receive my December release Alaskan Christmas Target. 

November is a good month to sort of tune up my practice of gratitude and then take it with me through the year. I know that I have had days when all I could think about was the stressors in my life. So I like that this month help me refocus on what really matters. 

Just as a final note, if you are someone who had been through a health crisis for whatever reason, then thanking God for your good health makes total sense. 



23 comments:

  1. What a great list! I'm thankful for the sunshine! And slippers. And a warm winter coat..which I'll be needing shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. family
    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful for the warmer temperatures we have right now and for the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so easy to wallow! Thank you for the reminder - we have so much to be thankful for. I'm thankful that the sun is shining and the leaves are beautiful in my backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankful for GOD'S many, many blessings! (family, including 5 precious grandsons! a new preemie, great, great nephew--he's doing fine & steadily growing/gaining wt!)
    badawson16 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m grateful that I had cataract surgery last month and again on Monday. Excited to heal and get reading glasses so I can read more again. I choose distance vision as mine was so poor. Thank you Jesus. leliamae54(at)aol(dot)com
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. great list! grateful for my daughter, good health and God's loving forgiveness. Shelia Hall sheliarha64(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though it's November, my lavender and one of my cone flowers is blooming, and the bumblebees were enjoying both today. I love watching it all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm thankful that God works everything to the good. And that I turned my book in and am almost finished cleaning my house. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL on cleaning the house. when I'm working on a book I at least have an excuse for just clearing away clutter so it's not a fire hazard.

      Delete
  10. I’m thankful for the writing friends I’ve made over the years -including you! It makes me stop and wonder what life would have been like without these encouraging friends. I can’t even fathom it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm thankful for the surgeon that has saved my life two times this year, my faith, seeing my family's faces, my brave ICU nurse son helping covid patients and my sweet grandpups Poppy and Austen.
    marypopmom (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm grateful that God is in control of life! And for my little cottage, health, & my job. I just started helping again at our local seasonal homeless shelter and it reminds me of so much of what I take for granted!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Sharon. I'm thankful for you and how the Lord has brought you through various tough things. I'm also thankful for how the Lord has helped us through these difficult months during the pandemic. Appreciate your continued prayers for us, that God keeps on sustaining us. Thanks for the opportunity to enter a giveaway. Would love to win a print copy! God bless you! Lual Krautter Email: krautter62520AToutlookDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lual always nice to see your comments on the posts.

      Delete
  14. Definitely my family, especially my husband who is always so supportive of me & believes in me.

    teamob4 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’m grateful that I’m healing from an auto accident on 2/6, slowly but surely. And that I’m a nine year breast cancer survivor.
    tumcsec(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is truly something to be grateful for. you have been through a lot.

      Delete
  16. I am thankful for my health. I have survived cancer two times in two years. Colon and endometrial cancer. I am doing great now with God's blessings and my friends and families prayers! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm thankful my family is healthy, we've been through some tough situations this year. needanap2 (at) gmail (.com)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm grateful that God is still reminding me to LOVE! Love my enemies as well as my friends and family. I don't have to like what they say or do, but I have to love them. God will know if I am just pretending. debsdesign01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete