Featured Post

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Delicious 4-bean salad for the Sum-Sum-Summertime! by Mary Ellis

Happy July, Suspense Lovers!!
Here's one of my favorite summertime recipes. I pair this with hot dogs or burgers on the grill, fried chicken, or cold cuts for an easy supper on the porch or patio. Enjoy....and keep on reading!! And don't forget to enter our awesome summer contest!!


Four Bean Salad
Combine in large bowl:
1 can green beans
(note: all beans can be either home-canned or store-bought)
1 can yellow beans (wax beans)
1 can kidney beans (light red or dark)
1 can garbanzo beans
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped peppers-sweet (green, red or yellow or combination)
½ cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped black olives (optional)

Add only enough dressing (recipe below) to lightly coat salad, then chill in refrigerator several hours or overnight. Before serving, if desired, drain off any runny dressing and add fresh. (1 or 2 tablespoons, or to taste)

Dressing:
2 cups oil (I prefer olive)
1 1/3 cups cider vinegar
2 cups sugar
2 1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
2 tsp. prepared mustard
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. Hungarian paprika
1 tsp. parsley (fresh or dried)

Heat oil and vinegar together, stirring in sugar and seasonings. Heat only until sugar is completely dissolved and seasonings are blended. Do not boil. Let cool and stored in a sealed jar in the refrigerator to use as needed. Shake well before using. This can be used on coleslaw and lettuce or spinach salad too.

Suspense Sister, Mary Ellis



9 comments:

  1. My mother used to make this salad, and we loved it in the hot months of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a three bean salad that my mom made but I will try this. Thank you for sharing. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for recipe appreciate it. Never saw this recipe before. Can you substitute any of the ingredients like the beans?
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had forgotten that recipe! Thank you for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen this recipe. My daughter will definitely want to make it. Thanks for sharing.
    I hope everone has a safe and joyful summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't think I would like this salad but it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister really likes this salad. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom used to make this. Was a favorite for my hubby. Thanks for reminding me. Going to make this soon and surprise him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love this! Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete