Featured Post

Friday, September 13, 2019

Meet the Author of BREAKING POINT ~ Marji Laine

 by Patricia Bradley

Today I'm interviewing Marji Laine here on the Suspense Sisters, and over at ptbradley.com/blog, I'm reviewing her latest suspense book, Breaking Point. And she's giving away a print copy of BREAKING POINT here at the Suspense Sisters! Must have a Continental US address. 

And, if you leave a comment on my blog I'll enter you in a drawing for either a $10 Amazon gift card or a book from my extensive library!





If you had to describe yourself in one sentence, what would you say?
I’m content on my path, consciously finding joy where I am, while I’m there.

That's an awesome thing to be able to say! So, what do you do when you’re not writing? Any interesting hobbies?

I can’t say any of my hobbies are really interesting. I do more publishing for others than I do writing at this point. I do love building book covers. That’s not so surprising, though because I love photography and scrapbooking. Aside from writing (which is like vacation time for me), my favorite afternoon would be spent creating book covers while watching a NASCAR race.

That muliti-tasking thing. (G) What was your favorite book as a teen or child?

Trixie Belden Mysteries were my favorite books when I was a pre-teen. I even collected a set of the original ones for my daughters and they loved them too. As a teenager, my favorite author was Phyllis A. Whitney. Her mysteries were riveting, twisted, and downright scary!

Phyliss A. Whitney was my favorite as a teen, too! Tell us three things about yourself that might surprise your readers.
I’ve directed three adult musicals and fourteen children’s musicals, and I choreographed (and played Ado Annie) in Oklahoma.
One of my photographs was used on a calendar (the month of October) for the city of Commerce, Texas.
I’m on the planning team for Kathy Ide’s SoCal Christian Writer’s Conference.

You are a busy lady! What is the most valuable piece of advice you’d like to give to unpublished authors?

When I first started writing, mentors would tell me to keep writing. And their advice was wise. Continuing to write was crucial to opening the doors of my creativity. But I think my best advice to share would be to have a teachable spirit. Listening to the wise counsel of others—critique partners, mentors, and other professionals—is essential for improvement, which all of us need! Having that teachable spirit also exemplifies Micah 6:8 – walking humbly before God and allowing Him to teach us through the suggestions of others.

I so agree, Marji. What would you like readers to know about your story? (And hop over to my blog for a review!)

BREAKING POINT isn’t my debut novel, but it is the first one that I wrote (and rewrote and rewrote …) over a decade ago. This story started with a strange dream that I had. It was only a scene, really. A woman was stranded on the roof of this beautiful Victorian house during a thunderstorm. There was someone looking for her. A figure peaked over the edge of the roof and spotted her, but as he adjusted his angle to aim his gun at her, the decoration on the edge of the roof gave way and he fell backward. That was the dream and I built the entire story around it. But in the five, page-one rewrites that I’ve done on this story, that scene disappeared. Maybe it will come back in another book?

Oh, wow! I wish I could dream like that! Love the premise! What’s next from Marji Laine?

I have a number of projects that I’m working up, most of them in the planning stage. I have a spinoff series from my novellas, Grime Fighter Mysteries. These will also be mysteries from the standpoint of a law student studying for the bar exam. I also have the second of my Dallas Duets romance series stirring in my mind. But the one I will work on next is the third book of this Heath’s Point Suspense series. It’s called BOILING POINT and the rough draft is complete. Just a little tweaking to do—not five rewrites! Hopefully, it will be coming out next year.

Back cover copy

Alynne's Stone's planned out and predictable days ended when she hurried to her mother's side to support her during a family tragedy. She knows no one in this country town and has nothing to do with her father’s death. So, why does she seem to have a target on her back? How can she stay and support her mom when someone is intent on eliminating her?

Police Lieutenant Jason Danvers believes her father was murdered. How, he can't fathom, but he also can't ignore the details that don't add up. Nor can he ignore the attempts made on Alynne’s life. Could that crazy story about buried treasure have something to do with her “accidents”? Still dealing with the pain of his own wife's death, he can’t allow an innocent woman to die on his watch. Especially one as scintillating as Alynne Stone.

Bio

After seventeen years of homeschooling and eight years teaching in the public-school realm, Marji is still a teacher at heart, nowadays opting for writer meetings, workshops, and conferences as well as teaching a high school Bible study in her home. When she’s not writing or publishing the stories of others, she enjoys watching sports (especially NASCAR and Texas Ranger baseball), theatre, and the Hallmark Movies and Mystery channel.

She and her hubby of thirty-two years live in a suburb of Dallas, Texas with two rescue dogs and one precious daughter who keeps them from having to be empty nesters for a little bit longer. She loves game night with her extended family and friends, singing harmonies in worship music, and talking shop with other writers. You can usually find her in her favorite recliner, tapping on her laptop with her fur-babies snoring at her feet. Or at www.MarjiLaine.com


You can purchase BREAKING POINT at Amazon.


64 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your interview with Marji Laine. It is always interesting to read where ideas come from for stories and what motivates authors to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed interviewing Marji! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad you joined us! And yes, my ideas can come from the STRANGEST places!

      Delete
  2. First I must say, I love the cover!

    What a great idea for a book and from a dream! Sad that the scene didn't make the final cut, but like you said it's a seed thought for another. Would love the opportunity to read "BREAKING POINT".

    Hubby and I both love photography. Such fun to try to capture something the eye sees to permanent memory.
    2clowns at arkansas dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover, too, Kay. And I'd love for one of my photographs to be chosen for a calendar! Although I did use my photos from Israel to create a calendar for this year.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Kay! I do enjoy making covers. But I have to tell you about an amazon photo opp! I got to be a photographer AT a NASCAR race! Oh, yeah! I was dancing on clouds all day long! LOL!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this interview. I also love scrapbooking when I find time. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Marji an interesting person, Lucy. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Time is a challenge for me, too, Lucy! I've had to start doing digital scrapbooking instead of the real thing. At least it isn't very expensive to have the pages printed out, but I miss having the paper in my hands!

      Delete
  4. Oh Trixie Belden I loved those books as well!

    Definitely looking forward to reading this. Sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted to go unpack mine and read them all over again. I wonder if they are still as good as I remember?

      Delete
  5. I almost wore out my Trixie Belden books! I still have them but they would probably crumble if I tried to read them! jarning67(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Joan. I was that way with the Black Stallion books.

      Delete
    2. I so wish I had the set from my youth. I would go to the Five&Dime and pick up the next one - all 36 or 37 or whatever of them. I had one first edition, too. Still, I'm happy to have a set of the first 16 for my daughters! (And me too! LOL!)

      Delete
  6. Breaking point sounds like a great read, thank you for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview! This sounds like a great book! We have an Oklahoma connection - I played "harp" on a keyboard for a teen production in which my daughter played "Aunt Eller!" LOL! It was one of the most fun things I was ever a part of and would love to do it again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, Regina! Glad you enjoyed the interview.

      Delete
    2. I loved doing Oklahoma! Still sing Ado Annie's songs, but I would LOVE to play Aunt Eller! She's a hoot!

      Delete
  8. Absolutely fascinating! I especially appreciated the advice to keep writing and have a teachable spirit, by walking humbly before my God. The ladt is great advice for everyone. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That advice is so true, Mary. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I'm so delighted that it connected, Mary. I totally agree - it isn't just for writers!

      Delete
  9. Oh how I wish that scene will come up in a book. I haven't read any of your books yet, but intend on remedying that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea! And I have a feeling that scene will come to play at some point. This Victorian house - the Sunset Inn Bed & Breakfast - is an integral part of the series. Something devious has to happen there again!

      Delete
  10. Sounds great. It's interesting that it came from a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed learning a little about Marji, particularly that she is a NASCAR fan. It appears from her bio that she may live fairly close to Texas Motor Speedway. I have an aunt and uncle who live out in that area. On the other hand, I live about ten miles from the Martinsville Speedway, the shortest track on the NASCAR circuit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, Edward! The last car race I went to was in West Memphis, AR and it was a stock car race. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Ooohhh, the paperclip! Love me some short-track racing! Woohoo! And I do live near (relatively) to Texas Motor Speedway. Sweet hubby and I go from time to time. That's where you can really get a feel for the power and the speed. But TMS doesn't have nearly the drama that Martinsville has.

      I've never been to a home track, Patricia, though there are some around. I'd love to go to a dirt race some day!

      Delete
  12. Would love to win a print copy of this book! Thanks for the opportunity! Lual Krautter

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book sounds very intriguing and like a good page turner! I love the cover! I enjoyed reading this author interview, and reading what the book is about, I am very interesting in reading this book so I will be adding it to my TBR list. Have a Great weekend. God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love making covers! May He bless you right back! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Alicia, for stopping by and commenting. It is very intriguing!

      Delete
  14. interesting premise
    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds really interesting! And from a dream...how cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It will be even more cool when I find where that scene will actually fit and stick! So glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  16. I loved the Trixie Belden and Phyllis Whiteny, too! Your books look wonderful, too!
    Janice
    pjrcmoore@windsream.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice, I think Phyllis Whitney was a great suspense writer. ;-) Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much - that's kind of a dream to have one of my books compared to Phyllis A Whitney's! My favorites were Silversword and Hunter's Green. What are yours?

      Delete
  17. I have never heard of her before but I love suspense and would love to read this book

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Pat and Marji! Thank you for the wonderful interview. How fun to have a photo chosen for a the city of Commerce calendar.

    psalm103and138atgmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caryl, I agree. Marji is very creative!

      Delete
    2. It was a hoot, Caryl! My brother was the announcer for the Texas A&M Commerce football team that year and hubby and I got full-access passes for the 100th homecoming game. (Our alma mater) The stands were the fullest I'd ever seen so I went across the field and shot the stands just after a Lion touchdown. Lots of pompoms and banners and flags. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to get the shot! :)

      Delete
  19. I can't believe your story was sparked by a dream Margi! But I guess as a writer, ANYTHING can spark one.

    Thanks for the fun author interview, I love getting to know new-to-me writers. Your book "Breaking Point" sounds intriguing, definitely one I want to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I have to tell you, Trixi, the inspirations usually come with unique settings. I think of where the body could be hidden - crazy, right? But this one just hit me in the middle of the night. Woke me up, and I actually remembered it!

      Delete
  20. Trixi, I think it's one you'd love! I know a writer who dreamed his whole book. I just wished I could remember my dreams. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Trixi, occasionally I do remember my dreams--at least the ones where someone is trying to kill me. And you know what I do when that happens? Pick up the pencil and paper by my bed and describe how I feel. lol

      Delete
    2. Love that! I have my iPad by my bed now so I can turn on the recorder and speak the dreams or inspirations I've had.

      Delete
  21. I loved the interview. Looks like a great book!
    paulams49ATsbcglobalDOTnet

    ReplyDelete
  22. And the winner of Breaking Point is Joan A!

    ReplyDelete