Featured Post

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

More Christmas Recipes


What's your favorite Christmas recipe? Believe it or not, my favorite is...FRUITCAKE! But not just any old fruitcake, but one I've been making for thirty years or more. 

It's moist without being gooey and you control how much citrus or anything else you want in it. It is absolutely delicious. 

Christmas Fruitcake


1 pound chopped dates (I use ½ lb of dates and about a cup of raisins)
1 pound pecans
½ pound candied pineapple
½ pound candied cherries
1 cup plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
4 eggs, separated (large)
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Beat egg yolks.
2. Sift flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder together.
3. Add to yolks, then add vanilla.
4. Beat egg whites and fold into mixture.
5. Add fruit and nuts and mix well.
6. Bake in a tube pan for 2 hours at 250 degrees or bake in a loaf pan 1 hour or until browned. Let sit until cool before taking out of the pan. Servings: 12

The reason I bolded the above direction is someone I know didn't let it cool and dumped it on a plate only to have the cake come all apart. It was still good...

So, my question is, do you like fruitcake? 


3 comments:

  1. Yes I do like fruitcake but not those dry store bought things. This recipe sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my Grandma Wilma used to make the best fruitcake ever and we never knew that most people hated it! She was an excellent cook and always made hers so moist too. I also really like the one that my former pastor's wife makes. It reminds me of Grandma Wilma's. I haven't been brave enough to try one on my own, but I might now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fruitcake and this recipe sounds easy. I will try it!

    ReplyDelete