Featured Post

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Favorite Childhood Books


Patricia Bradley here. I've been a lifelong reader, starting before I even went to school. I can remember being upset that I couldn't get a library card because I wasn't in the first grade. I was so excited when I finally held it in my hands. I could check out four books at a time!

Lately, I've been thinking about the books I read as a kid and teenager and I thought I'd share some of them with you and find out what books you read when you were young.

The first big book (one that had more words than pictures) I can ever remember reading is a biography of Will Rogers. It had to be when I was in the second grade  That was so long ago, I couldn't find it anywhere. But it really whetted my appetite for reading. Soon I was reading The Black Stallion by Walter Fraley, and The Bobbsey Twins, and Nancy Drew (although I don't remember a single storyline from the Nancy Drew books.)

Then I discovered Leon Uris when I was in the 10th grade. I read Exodus in one night--never went to sleep, finishing it about seven the next morning. I still think about that book and plan to read it again soon. If you don't know what it's about, here's the back cover copy:

This #1 New York Times international bestseller tells the epic history of Israel's birth through the eyes of two generations of Jews as they fight to reclaim their homeland. Leon Uris tactfully meshes together the story of two 19th century Jewish brothers who seek refuge in Palestine with the 20th century story of how Israel gained its independence after World War II. Rich in historical accuracy and compelling characters, this literary classic sheds light on the long history of the Jewish diaspora, their struggles for liberation, and the costs of war. One of Uris’s best works, Exodus is just as relevant today as it was when it was first published in 1958. The 1960 film adaptation starring Paul Newman was nominated for three Academy Awards.

So, what are your favorite books from your early years? Leave a comment, telling me, and I'll enter your name in a drawing (Continental US addresses for print; ebook for all other) for a copy of Justice Betrayed.

What are your favorite books as a child? Leave a comment and I'll enter you in a drawing for a copy of Justice Betrayed by Patricia Bradley.



38 comments:

  1. I loved The Black Stallion! I also read The Bobby Twins, Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, and The Secret Garden. Later on I discovered Phyllis Whitney and, of course, Gone With the Wind.
    lhanberry1 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot Trixie Belden! And the Secret Garden. Loved that book. All good, Linda!

      Delete
  2. When I was a child I loved Pippy Longstockings. When I got a little older my mom introduced me to books by Grace Livingston Hill. We made frequent trips to the public library.
    tumcsec(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trips to the library were awesome for me, Gail. I loved walking in and smelling the books!

      Delete
  3. I am a lifeling reader alao and this will certainly date me but Dick, Jane and Spot are some of my earliest memories. The Bobbsey Twins books were my first series, followed by Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew. Gone With the Wind was problem my first grown up book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, I actually learned to read using the Sunday comics! I can remember spreading the paper out on the floor and trying to sound the words out.

      Delete
  4. I was also an early reader. My older sister taught me what she learned in school each day when she came home. I was reading well before I entered school. I read a wide range of books as a child. I read some of the more popular ones such as Nancy Drew, Black Stallion, and The Bobbsey Twins, etc., but I also love classic authors such as Louisa May Alcott and Mark Twain. I always tried to read their entire collections. My favorite Louisa May Alcott book was always Eight Cousins, although I loved Little Women also. I basically read anything I could get my hands on, and continued to read children's books for years as I became a teacher. Some of the best literature written then and today is in the children's section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So agree, Linda! I hope the generation coming along will love books!

      Delete
  5. I loved the Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, my brother;s Hardy Boys. I loved to read any of the Little Golden Books. (In fact, I now collect them!) My aunt and uncle had my brothers and me in a book club where we got some neat books every month. Some were adventures, mysteries and bios.(I still have one of the bios.) I've been reading since my dad taught at six.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly, the Little Golden Books were so good. I remember reading them and then reading them to my children.

      Delete
  6. My favorites were Grace Livingston books, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and The Oregon Trail, by Frances Parker), but, especially, CF. Am so grateful that there are many more CF books available now. I especially like CF Romantic Suspense! Thanks for the opportunity to enter a giveaway! Would love to win a print copy! Appreciate it! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lual, I can't believe I didn't read Grace Livingston books! Unless I did and just forgot.

      Delete
  7. My fave books as a child were Little House on the Prairie and The Hardy Boys.Just read 2 of your books, Patricia and ordered the next 2!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I've never read the Little House on the Prairie books! That needs to be rectified.

      Delete
  8. My favorite books as a child were the Nancy Drew and Trixie Beldon books. I loved a good mystery then and I still do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica, great books, all of them! I love mysteries.

      Delete
  9. I loved Nancy Drew boooks and I think I read every one that was available when I was young. Like you, I don’t think I could tell you one storyline from those books. But I do remember one title - The Secret of the Old Clock.
    perrianne (DOT) askew (AT) me (DOT) com
    Perrianne Askew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did one better than me, Perianne! I can't name a title. lol. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  10. My favorite childhood book is about a dog. `Beautiful Joe`
    moma3homeschool(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I ever read "Beautiful Joe" Michelle, but I love books about dogs.

      Delete
  11. Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, Bobbsey Twins, Trixie Beldon and the Little House on the Prairie books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good books, Patricia! I may just have to go back and read the Prairie books!

      Delete
  12. Some of my favorites were and are: Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, Alfred Hitchcock's Three Investigators, Hardy Boys, Phyllis Whitney Young Adult Mysteries, Donna Parker and I'm sure there are more. Enjoy reading your books now - thank you.
    Jeannie
    jbeck2929@roadrunner.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, i's hard for me to remember all the books I read. When I was maybe 11 or 12, I read a lot of Zane Grey.

      Delete
  13. Awww, I remember being excited when I got my first library card too. My 8 year old got her hers a couple of years ago and the excitement in her eyes reminded of how happy I was when I got mine.
    I was big into the Mandie Series then I discovered The Jennie McGrady series by Patricia H Rushford. The latter is a great christian mysteries series for YA, I still own a small collection :).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the recommendation on the YA books, Jessy! They must not have been around when I was a kid. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the McGrady books began in the 90s. I am not sure about the Mandie Series 🤔. Although the Mandie Series was more for Middle Grade Readers:). I saved as many books of that series and just gave them to my oldest daughter this past summer. Sniff... 😁

      Delete
  15. Little Women. Boxcar Children. Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Phyllis Whitney, Danielle Steele.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Phyllis Whitney, Cheryl! Boxcar Children...that rings a bell.

      Delete
  16. cat in the hat
    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don’t recall how old I was but I know I was a preteen. But I remember checking out The Silver Chalice. I guess I liked historical Christian Fiction even then! The book was much better than the Paul Newman movie years later.
    I do remember our youth group gathering at our Sunday School teacher’s house to view Exodus on TV. ( mid 60’s) It was an epic movie. Now that one was very well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. I don't know that I saw all of it, just bits and pieces over the years, Paula, but I read the book!

      Delete
  18. I enjoyed The Boxcar Children.

    psalm103and138atgmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caryl, I barely remember the Boxcar Children. I'll have to check that one out. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  19. And the winner of Justice Buried is Michelle F! I'll be contacting you for your address.

    ReplyDelete