Featured Post

Friday, May 26, 2017

An Interview with Sandra Orchard by Patricia Bradley

I am so excited to bring Sandra Orchard back to The Suspense Sisters. Sandra is a multi-award-winning author of mysteries and romantic suspense. When not plotting crimes, Sandra likes to play make-believe with her grandchildren or hike with her hubby near their home in Niagara, Canada. Learn more about Sandra's books and bonus features at www.sandraorchard.com or connect at www.facebook.com/Sandra Orchard.



Her third book in the Serena Jones Mysteries series, Over Maya Dead Body, releases July 4 – Who will Serena choose?


FBI Special Agent Serena Jones arrives on Martha’s Vineyard with her family, ready for a little bit of R&R and a whole lot of reminiscing as they celebrate the engagement of an old family friend. But crime doesn’t take a vacation, and she’s soon entangled in an investigation of a suspicious death tied to an antiquities smuggling ring. 

When her investigation propels her into danger, Serena must stay the course and solve this case before anyone else dies. But just how is she supposed to do that when the two men in her life arrive on the scene, bringing with them plenty of romantic complications–and even a secret or two?

I've enjoyed the competition for Serena's affections between Nate and Tanner in A Fool and His Monet and Another Day Another Dali. Will she really choose one of them in Over Maya Dead Body?

It's interesting that I never thought of the situation as a love triangle, and was surprised when readers started calling it that. But now that I reflect on it, your description of it being a competition for her affection, rather than her choosing is far more accurate. And yes, Serena does make a choice.

If you had to describe yourself in one sentence, what would you say?  

A wife, mother and grandmother who loves the Lord and her family with all her heart and who feels truly honored when others enjoy the stories I write.

I truly agree with your description, Sandra. What do you do when you’re not writing? Any interesting hobbies?

Play with my grandkids. As for hobbies, after years of restricting creative free time to reading and writing, I’ve finally resumed crocheting and painting. Of course, my first projects have been grandchild related—truck and car pictures using their footprints as the template and crocheting a knight’s uniform.

Oh, wow. A knight’s uniform. That is neat. Once I made a grandchild an 1800-style general’s coat. He wore it until it wouldn’t fit. What was your favorite book as a teen or child?

I didn’t have a favorite. But I remember enjoying the Trixie Belden mystery series as a preteen.

Trixie Belden…I know I read those. Tell us three things about yourself that might surprise your readers.

-       I’ve never lived more than 40 miles from where I was born
-       I’m eagerly anticipating my fifth grandchild
-       For years, I didn’t think I had enough imagination to be a fiction writer

All three of those surprised me! What genre did you start out writing? Have you changed course? Why or why not?

I started writing romantic suspense and when new ideas I had didn’t fit into the romantic suspense genre, I added mysteries to the mix.

I love all of your books. J What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?

The funnest compliment is hearing I’ve kept someone up all night reading. I try not to dwell on criticisms, except when they’re helpful in improving manuscripts in progress since it’s too late to change the book that’s already out there.

Totally agree. Any other genres you’d like to try? If yes, what and why?

Not at the moment.

If you could go back in time and do something differently at the start of your career, what would it be?

I wouldn’t have kept the fact I’d starting writing a novel a secret from my dad. I’d wanted to surprise him with a published book dedicated to him and to my already deceased mom. Unfortunately, he died unexpectedly about a year into my writing journey, without ever knowing.

Oh, that’s hard. I’m so sorry you lost your dad that way. But I totally understand wanting to wait. It would have been a wonderful surprise. What is the most important thing you’d like readers to take away from your books?

Several enjoyable hours of entertainment and hopefully some inspirational food for thought.

What is the most valuable piece of advice you’d like to give to unpublished authors?

Don’t be in a rush to get published or to publish yourself. Take time to enjoy the journey. Persevere in learning the craft.

Excellent advice! 

To celebrate Sandra joining us today I'm offering a copy of the 2nd book in the series--Another Day Another Dali.  (Print version to a Continental US address or e-book outside the Continental US) 

To be entered in the drawing, leave a comment answering one of two questions. 

1. If you've read the other two books in Sandra Orchard's Serena Jones series, which man do you want Serena to choose? Nate, the building supervisor, or Tanner, her boss at the FBI? 

Or

2. Which mystery genre do you like best?

Leave your answer to one of the questions in the comment section. The drawing will be Wednesday, May 31 and I will contact the winner by email, so be sure and leave your email addy.

 And here's a description of Another Day Another Dali.


Another Day Another Dali

When a valuable Salvador Dali painting belonging to her grandmother’s friend is mysteriously replaced by a forgery, FBI Special Agent Serena Jones is called in to investigate. Serena hopes finding the thief will also mean finally measuring up to Nana’s expectations. But when the evidence points to members of the owner’s own household, it becomes increasingly clear that Serena won’t be winning any popularity contests.

The Dali isn’t the only painting that’s fallen prey to the forgery-replacing thief, raising the specter of a sophisticated theft ring–one with links to dirty cops, an aspiring young artist, and the unsolved murder of Serena’s grandfather.


With plenty of edge-of-your-seat moments, Another Day, Another Dali gives the plucky Serena Jones–and readers–a new high-stakes case to crack.




39 comments:

  1. I love reading romantic suspense. I love reading how the characters slowly develop a relationship while dealing with suspense in the story.
    jhdwayne@peoplepc.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deana, I so agree. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy that too. I tend to colour outside the lines adding romance and suspense to my mysteries and mystery to my romantic suspense. :)

      Delete
  3. I also love to read romantic suspense, as well as mystery and intrigue. I enjoy trying to figure out "who did it", but I'm rarely successful. But the journey is fun.
    Linda
    linlee822 [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way, Linda. And the journey is fun. Do you ever peek at the ending?

      Delete
    2. Oh, no! Don't even ask that question, Pat!!! Peeking undoes all the author's hard work to try and keep the reader guessing. :) It's my favourite part of plotting, Linda. I'm so glad to hear you enjoy trying to figure out whodunit.

      Delete
  4. I also prefer romantic suspense and the last few years, I have read several "cozy mysteries" that I really enjoyed. I think that some mysteries are too harsh for my taste!
    Happy Memorial Day weekend!
    Connie
    cps1950(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm liking cozies more and more, Connie. And I love Sandra's stories!

      Delete
    2. That's interesting you should say that, Connie, because one of the industry reviewers of the first book in the series, A Fool and His Monet, commented how nice it was to have a mystery that wasn't about murder (which even most of the cozies seem to be). Ironically, I wasn't much of a mystery reader before I started writing them, but I always enjoyed keeping my bad guy in my romantic suspense novels a mystery. These mysteries are considered cozies by most and although the final one in the series is a murder mystery involving art crime, the first two are about art thefts (and so much more). ;)

      Delete
  5. I loved the first book in this series. I like Nate the best in the first book.
    Thereadmaster@me.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased to hear you enjoyed A Fool and His Monet. Nate certainly has a lot of fans.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by Virginia! I like Nate, too.

      Delete
  6. I'm not going to read any comments cuz spoilers! I just finished "a fool and his monet" and need to get my hands on the next two in the series. I hope she'll choose Tanner!

    Arletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me smile. So glad you're enjoying the series.

      Delete
    2. Arletta, I like Tanner, too. lol. I don't know how Serena will choose!

      Delete
  7. This is a new author for me, but I love romantic suspense, but I also like cozy mysteries. Thanks! jparkerwood(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll get the chance to read the books, Julie.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by, Julie! You will really enjoy Sandra's books.

      Delete
  8. Great interview! I enjoy the intrigue and plot twists of whodunits.

    Thank you for the chance. psalm103and138 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caryl. Plotting the twists are my favourite part of writing. :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Caryl! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Nate the building Supervisor is my choice for Serena.
    jayne6379@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy reading romatic suspense and cozy mysteries. Enjoyed the description of the book and would really enjoy reading.
    diannekc8(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dianne. There was definitely a lot of fodder to draw from in the world of art crime.

      Delete
    2. Dianne, I've been told readers who like romantic suspense don't like cozies, but your comment tells me what I've believed all along--they do! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. I love romantic suspense books! It's one of my favorite genres! This series is definitely going on my summer read list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Romantic suspense is definitely my favorite!

    mo1202007ATyahooDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heard so many good reviews on this series! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And our winner, drawn by Random.org is Linda!

    ReplyDelete