Featured Post

Friday, November 20, 2015

INTERVIEWING KATY LEE!



Katy Lee is the author of six published novels. She writes suspenseful romances that thrill and inspire. She believes all of her stories should stir and satisfy readers—from the edge of their seats. A native New Englander, Katy loves to knit warm wooly things. She enjoys traveling the side-roads and exploring the locals’ hideaways.  A homeschooling mom of three competitive swimmers, Katy often writes from the stands while cheering them on.  Her 2014 book, Grave Danger, received the highest honor in romance: a RITA® nomination in the Romantic Suspense category, as well as a nod for the Daphne Du Maurier award for excellence in mystery and suspense.

Visit Katy at:  www.KatyLeeBooks.com

INTERVIEW

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I’ve been told the name Katy Lee sounds Southern, but I have always been a New England girl. I like to think I have some Southern hospitality in me, though. I am married to my town’s deputy mayor and I homeschool my children. They are all in their secondary school years, so I am seeing the light at the end of that tunnel. Phew! But seriously, I do love homeschooling and so blessed to have been able to do it from day one.

What do you do when you’re not writing?

Traveling whenever I can, wherever I can. There is so much of the world I want to see. I also enjoy knitting, typically things with wool, but I have tried my hand at lace and have found that to be peaceful.

Tell us something about yourself that might surprise your readers.
 
I am a cat person and am a little afraid of dogs. This may have something to do with my run-ins with the nippy dogs on my paper route as a kid, but this fear made writing my latest novel, Silent Night Pursuit, a challenge. You see, there is an adorable golden Retriever service dog in my story. Her name is Promise and she has made a promise to her soldier she stands by to serve and guide. To write her accurately, I had to spend time with the dogs being trained for soldiers with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. These animals were amazing and wonderful and so attentive. I think they might have cured my fear a bit.

Did you choose the genre you write in, or did it choose you?

I chose to write inspirational romance, but not suspense. The villains just kept showing up, so I had to embrace my calling and write on as an Inspirational Romantic Suspense writer.

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?

I don’t mind criticism. I welcome it, even. Do I always take it? No. But if I hear it more than once from multiple people, I might look into the issue and make some adjustments. I am always learning and trust that God puts people in my life to help me along the way. And it’s worked. This past year, one of my stories, Grave Danger, was nominated for the RWA RITA award as well as the Daphne Du Maurier award for excellence in mystery and suspense. Both were humbling compliments I am so grateful for.

If you could go back in time and do something differently in your writing career, what would it be?

I wouldn’t have waited so long in accepting my writing as more than a hobby. It only prolonged my family and friends accepting it in the end. Owning it sooner would have set a different stage, I think.

Silent Night Pursuit

RACE AGAINST TIME 

Lacey Phillips believes Captain Wade Spencer knows something about her brother's mysterious death. So she throws caution to the wind and tracks him down on Christmas Eve looking for answers.
Wade tries to turn her away—until bullets start to fly. He doesn't want to take the stubborn beauty on his life-or-death mission to find out the truth about how Wade's past may have cost her brother his life. But with killers lurking everywhere, he has to protect her—especially when she breaches the walls around his heart. Can Wade and his faithful service dog keep Lacey alive long enough to figure out who's targeting them?
 






Enter to win a copy of Katy’s June book, Permanent Vacancy! (US only.) Just leave a comment, along with your contact
information. We'll pick a winner on Monday!
 


22 comments:

  1. Thank you for letting us get to know you. Sounds like a great book. Count me in the drawing. lill dot kohler at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy, Welcome to the blog. I was with you on everything except welcoming criticism--still working on that. : ) Seriously, great interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard,
      I used to be a Realtor and learned nothing is personal. I grew a thick skin real fast. It was either that or cry myself to sleep every night. I think it helped me in writing. It also helps to surround yourself with people who really want to see you succeed. You can trust them not to hurt you. :)

      Delete
  3. great interview, love this type book, hope i can win one, thanks for the chance,
    Shirley jcisforme@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley.
      I hope you will put one of my stories in your TBR pile then. :) Thank you for stopping by and reading.

      Delete
  4. So wonderful to see you here at suspensesisters, Katy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roxanne,
      Thank you for having me. I really appreciate the opportunity to meet your readers. :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for a great interview. I honeschool as well. I love reading Christian suspense and would love a chance to read your book. It is true that we have a dream but put it off for sone reason. I'm glad you decided to pursue your dream and write books that are intriguing and keep readers glued to the story . You "hobby" has turned in a wonderful gift for all of us.
    Deana
    Jhdwayne(at)peoplepc(dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deana,
      Thank you for your lovely comment. :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like my kind of book. Thanks for the opportunity to win and read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for a great interview!

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great intetview, always enjoy reading about Christian authors. Your book sounds amazeing too. Thank you fr the opportunity to win. rose blackard at gmaim dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to read!
    Thanks, Kristie tklovenest (at) [aol] {.} com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this interview. I confess you are a new author to me, but you're now on my TBR list. In fact, I'm preordering Silent Night Pursuit. It will be mailed to my home. My one son (a Marine for 6 yrs, including Desert Storm) is a disabled vet, and has severe PTSD. At one point, the pain was so unbearable he contemplated ending his life. Then he received the gift of Goldy, a 5 yr old GSD. She became his service dog. She literally saved his life. GOD truly works miracles through these dogs. Thank you for sharing a little of their work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary,
    Your son is in my prayers. And I am so thankful for Goldy coming into his life. These dogs are so much more than pets. Thank you for sharing about your son and his service dog. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Katy!
    What a great interview! I love that villains kept showing up in your books! :D I know the feeling. The one Christian romance I wrote trying to break into Love Inspired came back as not quite "enough." LOL I should have given it a villain (and may rewrite that in the future). Everything else I'd written (science fiction, westerns, etc., in the days before LI) always had a villain. Just seemed to work out better that way. I'm glad the Lord led you into suspense, because you're wonderful at it! :)
    Please toss my name in the hat. Thanks!
    marionlaird at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your high praise, Marion. :) I love how God calls us for different things, even different genres. It's all for Him.

      Delete