Featured Post

Friday, August 8, 2014

VERONICA HELEY



 Veronica Heley has published over seventy books, having been in the business for more than forty years. She lives in Great Britain and is currently writing two gentle crime series set in different areas of London. She also produces the occasional short story. She’s involved with her local church and community affairs, likes to break for coffee with friends and does the garden when she has time. She has been a member of a book reading club for forty years, but has decided that life is too short to read depressing literature anymore.





Now and then someone asks me what Ellie Quicke is like. Sometimes they say they think that she’s like me, and I say, ‘Yes, she is – sort of.’ Because she is not very tall, not exactly sylph-like and her hair is silver. But Ellie is not really me. I wouldn’t call myself a soldier for Christ – but then, neither would Ellie. Yet that is what she is, in a way. But she’s also a fallible human being who can be forgetful and leave the house with her skirt tucked up into her pants at the back. And yes, the other day I put on a full skirt, and as I was walking up past the shops, a woman I didn’t know called out to me and pointed . . . and then we both got the giggles. So perhaps I’m more like Ellie than I thought.

I recorded an interview and some extracts from my newsletters for the people who produce the Ellie and Bea audiobooks, and they have now gone live on their Soundcloud page. I do hope you like them. My website manager says he’s put links through my website on the home page – that’s the interview; and on the blog page. But you can also access the official Isis sites through this: 

Podcast & Interview:
Collected newsletters 2011-2014 (one audio file)
Links to individual newsletters (click on each title)

Some more good news. I’ve got the first of the reviews in for MURDER IN TIME, published in May in the UK, and August in the USA. Booklist says that ‘The indomitable amateur sleuth Ellie Quicke is back doing what she does to perfection... An absorbing plot starring the always charming Ellie, and a slam-bang ending, makes this one a pleasure to read.’ AND – wait for it – Publishers Weekly says ‘Heley’s prose is sure, her characters well-drawn, and though her tone is light, the plot is satisfyingly dark and sinister.’ How about that!

LONGSWORD is the next of my historicals to be brought out as an e-book by Severn house. We’re back in the lawless Middle Ages when a man fleeing from a wrongful conviction takes refuge in the castle in which lives a girl who’d once been promised to him in marriage. He’s a red-head but the cover gives him black hair. Oh well. Now, if I’ve understood this correctly, if you do Control and click on this URL, you get the cover and the first two chapters; http://aerbook.com/books/Longsword-8830.html And yes, it works!

And so, back to Ellie number sixteen. This is now roaring ahead, with Diana being threatened with hell-fire – am I enjoying that bit! – and suspicion being cast everywhere. I know that very soon I’m going to have the copy editing of the last Bea Abbot to do, so I’m trying to get ahead with Ellie while I can.

Veronica Heley

Severn House e-books released in June, July and August
Bea Abbot:   FALSE STEP: http://aerbook.com/books/False_Step-8687.html
Historical:    LONGSWORD: http://aerbook.com/books/Longsword-8830.html
Ellie Quicke: MURDER IN TIME:  http://aerbook.com/books/Murder_in_Time-8823.html.

Don’t forget that if you would like a digital review copy of Murder in Time, it is available from Severn House through NetGalley. This facility is available to librarians, booksellers and established reviewers and bloggers, but NOT to the general public who only post reviews on Amazon or Goodreads – unless they are Amazon Vine reviewers or GoodReads librarians.  Apply direct to Charlotte Loftus on Charlotte@Severnhouse.com

UNSUNG HEROES is now available as an e-book. This is a collection of short stories originally published in the Methodist Recorder, concerning the problems of three retired men and their families, plus some Ellie Quicke short stories. £3.40 UK, and $4.90 USA. http://www.veronicaheley.com/othertitles.php?11-11

 Find details of all the other E-books at http://www.veronicaheley.com/ebooks.php?l1-11

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing about your books! I love a good mystery and need to get some of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be looking for these books. They sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete